Upgrading to Vista from XP

R

RhysJames2008

Hi there,
I just need a little push in the right direction here.
I currently have a custom built PC which is running Windows XP Home Edition SP2.
I would like to upgrade to Windows Vista Ultimate but there are two types available... the Full version and an Upgrade version.
Which version do I need?

Can I just use the Upgrade version to upgrade my XP to Vista Ultimate or do I need the Full version?

(My computer does meet Vista requirements)

Many thanks, and thanks in advance for the help =}
Much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
In theory, the upgrade edition will do what you want.

However, this is Vista...

You will regret the switch :( Xp SP2 is where it's at for me, and where it's staying for quite some time. XP SP3 was released in beta last year and even that's a bit dodgy.

Spend the dough on some more memory or graphics card or hard drive, and enjoy a really whizzy WinXP ;)

Sponsored Links
Okay thanks for the advice :)
Im gonna try the upgrade, ive always got a copy of XP handy if Vista is poop anyway.

Thanks all

I would still like to know why so many people dislike Vista though =}

RhysJames2008 said:
I would still like to know why so many people dislike Vista though =}
You're about to find out for yourself.

Hi there,
I just need a little push in the right direction here.
I currently have a custom built PC which is running Windows XP Home Edition SP2.
I would like to upgrade to Windows Vista Ultimate but there are two types available... the Full version and an Upgrade version.
Which version do I need?

Can I just use the Upgrade version to upgrade my XP to Vista Ultimate or do I need the Full version?

(My computer does meet Vista requirements)

Many thanks, and thanks in advance for the help =}
Much appreciated.

Personally I would go for the full version, most people who experience problems with Vista are usually those that have upgraded. If you want to save money, get an OEM version (license terms apply), my Vista Premium (full vers) was under £60.00

I have both a Vista machine and XP SP2, XP still gets my vote. ;)

my Vista Premium (full vers) was under £60.00

Ooo, just out of interest... where did you get Vista Premium so cheap?

I'm quite tight so less money out of the pocket will always make me laugh.

Thanks

Google 'Vista OEM' there are plenty of outlets that resell it, prices change regularly.

Personally I would go for the full version, most people who experience problems with Vista are usually those that have upgraded

I agree that a fresh install as oppose to upgrade is always better but I think that most people who experience problems with Vista are those who have installed it regardless :)

Anyways I've heard a little rumour that you can get an upgrade version of Vista to work as the full version, here's some links that may help:

http://labs.pcw.co.uk/2007/02/using_a_vista_u.html
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/12/cheap_vista_for_everyone/

Google 'Vista OEM' there are plenty of outlets that resell it, prices change regularly.

Do bear in mind that OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) software can only be sold with qualifying hardware such as Processor, Mainboard or HDD. Any place selling OEM software on its own is breaking the terms of the licensing agreement.

Go for the full version, Vista is fantastic, extremely stable and a lot safer than XP no matter which service pack is loaded. It supports Directx 10 which is absolutely stunning with a graphics card that supports it.

The reason I say get the full version is that the upgrade can cause problems as people have said previously, an example is the .Net extentions that a fair few applications rely on. I had problems with windows updates and couldn't oad Office 07 because of it after upgrading my first machine. I suspect the people who have issues have upgraded. I have 3 PC's now all running Vista from clean installs and not one of them is causing me a problem. Don't stay in 2005 join 2008 - load Vista!!!

My friends son is eleven, and says that there's a kid in the playground selling hooky copies of Windows XP for £20. All the kids that got PC's and laptops for christmas (with Vista pre-installed) are snapping 'em up! :LOL:

Says it all.

Well, I appreciate all the help ive recieved here... I've decided not to upgrade to Vista, but spend my money on building a new system instead =}

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Back