upstairs floor tiles

What you are saying in effect then is that my standards are much lower than yours ?
Once again, you’re reading things into my posts which just aren’t there; the terms I actually used were “different approach” & “different standards”. The methods I use are a result of my background knowledge & personal experience but they are broadly consistent with the many guides available &, in fact, less onerous than some, including the Tiling Forum sticky.

If you take the time to read what I’ve actually said, the way we do things isn’t that much different;

• You use 6mm ply for over boarding, I use 12mm, some recommend even thicker!
• I don’t like chipboard & given the option, I always prefer to take it up if only for the reason that over boarding (12mm) creates what can be a considerable difference in threshold height once the tiles are laid &, in many cases, folks simply won’t accept that.
• If I do overboard, I always screw through into the joists for the reasons given but you do have to be really careful to locate pipes & cables; I will admit this could be a problem for some DIY’s
• I never use nails always screws as there is simply less chance of them loosening or pulling over time

I really don’t see why you seem to be getting upset by it; I know one tiler that nail guns 3mm hardboard over everything regardless & tiles directly onto that :eek: As I said, it’s down to the individual to take advice on-board & chose their own way. ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks everybody.

I understand a lot more now. Been reading...

I need some WBP for a false wall that im going to make for the shower mixer, so ill probably put down Ply.

I think the issue of the level changing from hall to bathroom is a concern and using Ply is going to help reduce this - my chipboard is 18mm and my hallway is 22mm, so to have no level change i would do no overboarding at all, so again for this reason i probably best to use 12 or 18mm ply.

I also found out my timber merchant does free delivery so another problem solved!

Guess the loft is in for a chipboard treat some time soon.

so to have no level change i would do no overboarding at all, so again for this reason i probably best to use 12 or 18mm ply.
Only use 12mm if over boarding; 18mm is the minimum thickness for tiling directly onto the floor.

I still don't think that 18mm to replace boards is enough.
BS advises 15 to 18mm for overboarding,I know that most people on here advise 12mm and that is what I use myself.With this in mind replacing with 18mm is only 6mm difference which IMO is pushing the limit a bit.

If you go for 18mm to replace the boards then make sure you fit plenty of noggins.

Sponsored Links
And the obvious thing about the tiling reply is ?

i cant think much about any of your work when your web page hasnt even been spell checked :eek:

"for more information, or a FREE site survey and estimate contact us on:
TEL: 07901 837606 or emial us with
your enquiry at:"

One spelling mistake from a third party is a fantastic judgement of a man isn't it ? I do not need to justify myself to you jefoss. I have made my fortune on hard work and by knowing what I am talking about so don't judge me on a pair of letters the wrong way round which I didn't personally compile. Let's just put it into context shall we with the range and quality of my work and the thousands of my satisfied and repeat customers , but you find a spelling mistake & that means we are terrible at our jobs does it ?

No, what has already been mentioned in this thread and the fact that you're prepared to tile onto backing plaster says enough of the standard of work you do.

One spelling mistake from a third party is a fantastic judgement of a man isn't it ? I do not need to justify myself to you jefoss. I have made my fortune on hard work and by knowing what I am talking about so don't judge me on a pair of letters the wrong way round which I didn't personally compile. Let's just put it into context shall we with the range and quality of my work and the thousands of my satisfied and repeat customers , but you find a spelling mistake & that means we are terrible at our jobs does it ?

yes, its all about attention to detail
so do you go off on one if someone calls you or "emials" you for info about work if they pick up on the mistakes on your site?

seems your a tad defensive for someone whos made his "fortune"

:cool:

Mistake not mistakes Jess. So by your reckoning this lot must be rubbish at their jobs too because they are all dyslexia sufferers who will, I'm sure make more spelling mistakes than most :

Tom Cruise
Lee Ryan
Richard Branson
Orlando Bloom
Jay Leno
Anthony Hopkins
Whoopi Goldberg
Noel Gallagher
Jamie Oliver
I could go on...

Like I said I don't need to justify myself to you two, one of whom isn't even a tradesman. I have countless happy customers that call me again & again for more work so the fact that two little pals on here want to have a pop at me makes no odds. And regarding the tiling query, as a tiler you would always advocate the use of a waterproof adhesive and a waterproof grout wouldn't you ? Just checking then. I have said all I need to say to you by now anyway as a read over my posts over the years prove ( I know you've already had a quick look Jess ) I do know what I advise on. Thank you.

Mistake not mistakes Jess. So by your reckoning this lot must be rubbish at their jobs too because they are all dyslexia sufferers who will, I'm sure make more spelling mistakes than most :

Tom Cruise
Lee Ryan
Richard Branson
Orlando Bloom
Jay Leno
Anthony Hopkins
Whoopi Goldberg
Noel Gallagher
Jamie Oliver
I could go on...

Like I said I don't need to justify myself to you two, one of whom isn't even a tradesman. I have countless happy customers that call me again & again for more work so the fact that two little pals on here want to have a pop at me makes no odds. And regarding the tiling query, as a tiler you would always advocate the use of a waterproof adhesive and a waterproof grout wouldn't you ? Just checking then. I have said all I need to say to you by now anyway as a read over my posts over the years prove ( I know you've already had a quick look Jess ) I do know what I advise on. Thank you.

you seem to think i was having a go cause your dyslexic? i dont care, what i was pointing out was attention to details, plus if your dyslexic and someone else made your web pages why are they spelt wrong? i feel your whole argument is rubbish there.

and no i dont care you spelt my name wrong, just shows how childish you are

:cool:

Like I said I don't need to justify myself to you two, one of whom isn't even a tradesman.
Ex-tradesman if you so please. :LOL: Just pointing out that your advice is poor. The fact that you have duped customers is nothing to be proud of.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back