Upstairs light circuit all down - MCB not tripped

Sponsored Links
That's a shame, you really want to find the first point on the circuit to test.

Often it would be in line with the landing light switch. It has to be in a safe zone, so there shouldn't be that many possibilities.

Spring or autumn - it'll be b****y cold up there in winter. But you can't wait until then, so just suck it up, I'm afraid,

Sponsored Links
Given how "hot" could be misunderstood, I think it was a fair comment from winston.

i'm not a sparky but this sounds like a insulation problem so i may get this wrong ! 1. the trip is tripping (won't do the trip much good) 2. wire seems warm. again insulation . or partial short (nipped wires) 3 .if all fitting off there should be no load on ring and he said the meter has an amp scale most likely 10A trip should 6A . personally i'd isolate the mains and do a ohm reading at the box if there is a large leakage it should show up and the ring is safe to work on and of its large enough to keep buzzer on meter going while checking roses wiring it you'll hear it stop if the short clears. He mentioned some wizard switches know nothing about them, may need a feed I don't know but might be worth check / isolating out the evasion . my point was if the trip is getting stick would of though testing as much as possible dead as much as poss saving the trip and safer . problem with this is if it is a insulation problem you can't load the ring unless you have a megga .in witch case any wizardry switches i would remove . if its an open ring this could be still be sorted on a dead ring with the meter he has. trip is tripping for a reason if wire is becoming warm there's load some were and it isn't what it should be a bulb . question any low voltage lighting (halogen lamps /led ) halogen lamps get hot, but with all the heat to start with may not of helped (melted cable). personally i'd work as much as i can on a dead ring 1, safety ,2 save the trip, if you want to try any thing try a amp reading see if there is a load . odds are its a nipped wire or partial if trip and wires becoming hot .i'd be looking for a short between the three wires on the disconnected ring first save the trip in the main box or you'll be buying a new one..
try watch the elec meter flashes cont the time between flashes . there will be a difference if the load on ring is enough to trip ring off

Last edited:
sorry, Richard, I can't follow that.

If you haven't got any capital letters, try breaking into paragraphs.

ATB

i'm not a sparky but this sounds like a insulation problem so i may get this wrong ! 1. the trip is tripping (won't do the trip much good) 2. wire seems warm again insulation . or partial short (nipped wires) 3 .if all fitting off there should be no load on ring and he said the meter has a amp scale most likely 10a trip should 6a . personally i'd isolate the mains and do a ohm reading at the box if there is a large leakage it should show up and the ring is safe to work on and of its large enough to keep buzzer on meter going while checking roses wiring it you'll hear it stop . he mentioned some wizard switches know nothing about them may need a feed i dont knot but might be worth check isolating out the evasion . my point was if the trip is getting stick would of though testing as much as possible dead ring as much as poss saving the trip and safer . problem with this is if it is a insulation problem you can't load the ring unless you have a megga .in witch case any wizardry switches id remove . if its an open ring this could be still sorted on a dead ring with the meter he has. trip is tripping for a reason if wire becoming warm there's load some were and it isn't what it should be a bulb . question any low voltage lighting (halogen lamps /led ) halogen lamps get hot but with all the heat to start with may of helped (melted cable). personally i'd work as much as i can on a dead ring and 1 safety ,2 save the trip, if you want to try any thing try a amp reading see if there is a load . odds are its a a nipped wire or partial if trip and wires becoming hot .i'd be looking for a short between the three on the disconnected ring first save the trip in the box or you'll be buying a new one..
try watch the elec meter flashes cont the time between flashes . there will be a difference if the load on ring is enough to trip ring off
Richard - please print that out, and have someone read it out loud exactly as it is written. See how much sense it makes.

And your point is????

I quess in response to my earlier comment regarding the screwdriver.
post#27

Sunray. I concede they have there uses :)

In fact i wished i had one today fitting a es lampholder on a 2 core clear flex

Last edited:
you don't need to get to tech to help someone. Same can be said keep resetting trip and working on live wires when not sure what scale a meter should be set on V or A you soon find out the hard way. If you can work on a dead spur,ring, feed ,wire all the better lets get picky .....

Some of your advise is sound, however no offence but the grammar of the first post masked it , but welcome to the forum

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back