Upstairs light circuit all down - MCB not tripped

Sponsored Links
i'd be doing a mega leakage test as my guess is a bad cable but I.m lucky to own one not a lot of diy's would have a £££ meter sitting gathering dust. I also mentioned the cable may need to be loaded to bring the fault as it may be a insulation problem. But doing as much as you can trouble shooting without the risk of getting a belt is a safer way to work when run hand along wires in lofts that harry the hamster's been feasting on...lol..

you don't need to get to tech to help someone. Same can be said keep resetting trip and working on live wires when not sure what scale a meter should be set on V or A you soon find out the hard way. If you can work on a dead spur,ring, feed ,wire all the better lets get picky .....
Richard - please print that out, and have someone read it out loud exactly as it is written. See how much sense it makes.

Given how "hot" could be misunderstood, I think it was a fair comment from winston.
Given the context, I don't think there is any misunderstanding. Electricians are aware of the term even though it may not be common. Same with "ground".

Sponsored Links
Given the context, I don't think there is any misunderstanding. Electricians are aware of the term even though it may not be common. Same with "ground".
Well richardbell seems to think the wires are warm

Thanks for all responses guys. And my apologies for the confusion over the 'hot' wires. I was referring to them being hot from an electrical standpoint, rather than the temperature of them.

So another friend who's an electrician popped round today when he had some free time (but not much). He confirmed that the neutral has become live... therefore we seem to have a broken neutral (my words)? Correct term or not? From this link it doesn't state that the neutral becomes live, just that it is open.

https://www.hunker.com/12436135/what-is-an-open-neutral

Is it called something else when the neutral is live? Or same thing?

He traced a couple of cables to try and locate the first light but was unable to as it was simply too hot up there. Was up there maybe 10 or 15 minutes and you come down sweating. He is happy to come and take a look but soonest he can do due to a builders contract is about 3 weeks away. Again, as he's a friend he didn't take any money of course (same as first friend).

I am in two minds between calling someone to take a look (but I imagine most will say no in this heat anyway) or taking a look ourselves. We're currently fasting for Ramadan so not exactly the best people to be up in the loft where it is hotter than a sauna lol. Finishes on Sunday though.

If I was to take a look my theory / plan of attack is:

- Switch MCB off
- Locate first light by tracing the cables back to find one that goes 'down' to the consumer unit
- Go to first light and disconnect the wire going OUT to the next light
- Switch MCB on
- Test
- If it doesn't work then we've narrowed down where the problem could be
- If it works, switch MCB off...
- Connect the wire back that I took out, go to the next light in the circuit and remove the wire that goes OUT from there to the next light
- Switch MCB on
- Test

Repeat the above until it stops working and at that stage we've narrowed down to what the issue may be. When we get to a bathroom / en suite I plan to disconnect everything unnecessary such as extractor fans, shaving lights etc and put them back one by one.

Sounds like a good plan or not? With a bit of luck it will be an issue we find in one of the first few rooms to save going through the rest.

Might call another electrician (3rd friend) to see if he can assist some evenings and go through it with us.

Last edited:
Another sparky mate turns up but is too busy to stick around to actually solve the problem. Weird.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back