upstairs lights not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I seem to have a strange problem with my upstairs light circuit.
The only ceiling light of the 5 upstairs lights working is the bathroom.(3 bedrooms,hall and bathroom).
There appears to be power getting to each of the wall light switches but other than the bathroom the lights arent coming on. Has anyone got an idea as to whats wrong or to what I should check next ? :?:

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Have a look in teh WIKI and see how lighting circuits work.

In most cases the live and neutral is carried from one lighting point to the next and a break in either can cause the rest of the lights in the chain to stop working.

The usual cause is when someone has installed a new light fitting and either it has not been done properly and/or one of the wires has broken in the process.

Have you done any work on the lights recently?

EDIT, that electric screwdriver is useless. Throw it away. It will only, possibly indicate the presence of a live conductor. You also need to check if the neutral is there. You need a proper two lead voltage tester or a multimeter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back