upstairs radiators top coldbottom hot downstairs fine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi ,my central heating system seems to make a lot of noise when it starts up followed by the sound of occasional dripping/trickling waterthere isn't a leak as have checked all radiators and after a while no sound at all only when it switches .have found downstairs ones working fine but upstairs the tops are cold/warm and bottoms hot.I think it maybe trapped air but I don't know how to bleed the radiators as the radiators seem to only have the valve at the bottom and a nut at the top.We had a plumber in a couple of months ago to fix some taps so think this started around then when he switched the water off.we have a main boiler in the spare room and a combi boiler in the kitchen extension if that helps.
Any help would be much appreciated as this is my first time dealing with anything like this
thanks
danny

Sponsored Links
would i be mistaken when i guess the last service was a looooong time ago?

yes mate probably,we have had the house for a couple of years and its been fine until recently.what should I start to look at/for or do I need a professional.thanks again

What you're describing is air in the top of the rads. All rads will have a bleed nipple somewhere one end at the top. Open this with some tissue under it and let the air out.

Watch out for black water, it will stain.

Have you checked the feed & exp tank in the loft is full of water?

If it is and the rads won't fill with water when you bleed them, then chances are your cold feed is blocked where it tees into the system pipe work.

Sponsored Links
I have many customers who have a main ch boiler and a water heater in the bathroom or kitchen.

I assumed this is what the OP was referring to

Yes so do I, but for some reason many older properties have this set up :eek:

One even refused to have the water heater taken out and a combi fitted when they wanted a new ch boiler :eek: :eek:

I had to fit a standard system boiler, against my recomendation and judgement :rolleyes:

have bleed the radiators and haven't heard any more groaning /rumbling noise.the only thing I hear is when the system starts up is like a dripbut its inconsistent like starts then goes when the system is warmed up .then comes and goes.I hear on and off on some of the other radiators depending on which room.could this be just the pipes are cold,a bit of still trapped air or the system is knackered??haven't checked the feed tank in loft as have restricted movement of my knee
thanks for the replies much appreciated
danny

It's probably the copper pipes heating up and expanding. The 'dripping' noise is caused when the expanding pipe inches (or microns, to be more accurate) its way through slots cut in joists, etc. It's very difficult to eliminate without major hassle which I wouldn't have thought was worth it.

Rgds.

managed to get into loft and both the black tanks seem to have enough water in them.bled all the radiators again today to make sure all the air is out. the are all hot .checked the pipes going into each radiator, one boiling and the other pretty warm ( is that right?)system has just kicked in ,not as noisy as when its on in the morning.still can hear what is water going through the boiler /hot storage unit in the airing cupboard like a toilet flushing but also some water trickling as well.is this right or have I got another issue?if it is aproblem with the cold feed where do I find the valve for this and how do I unblock it.
is there anything else I can do or do i get a professional in?
thanks for all your help

IF the cold feed is blocked it will be where this pipe tees into the system pipe work.

Usually this needs cutting out and the pipe work replacing around this T.

Would that be close to thestorage unit and the isolator valve ?will see how it goes in the morning dave and when I have some better light

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back