UPVC cladding exterior- what the catch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The front 1st floor of my semi has tiles over battens and I'm thinking of replacing the tiles with upvc cladding and filling between the battens with insulation boards. I can buy the cladding, boards and fixings relatively cheaply from several of the big diy chains.
However my local paper carries adverts from DG companies asking £1000's for the cladding.
Is there some trick to fitting cladding that justifies the extra cost? Looks to me like a simple case of couple of blokes with ladders, hammers and a saw.

Sponsored Links
for a start dont use hollow cladding if it is suggested as some people do think its ok to use, use 150mm shiplap. Fascias etc are quite cheap but the labour clocks up as it is a job at heights. Also white profile is a lot cheaper than foiled (coloured), If you can get the right discount at the right place 150mm x 5M white shiplap is around £10 a length and rosewood etc. is around £25. There are other trims that may be needed too eg. starter trim, angle, join, arc etc.

You should consider Marley Eternit Cedral Weatherboard, a manmade timber cladding, a hundred times more attractive than upvc and pretty comparable in cost I recall especially if DIYing.

Thanks s60tsy, I thought the extra cost was probably the 'standing on a ladder' premium.

Sponsored Links
Its also more likely to be blown off in the wind.

for a start dont use hollow cladding if it is suggested as some people do think its ok to use,
I have often heard this said, but nobody has ever been able to tell me why. If it is ok for soffits etc. then why not facing, especially for the application the op has.

well its called hollow soffit board, so its specifically a soffit in the name, plus its hollow, which makes it weak. if used on a face, it looks very wavy and where each piece connects it becomes a little dirtier that the rest of the grooves. it also becomes britle and apart from using it as a soffit it shouldnt be used on anything else really. It used to be printed on the back. I dont know what the fitters are like round mattys area, but if fitted right upvc shiplap wont blow off? i still think (if fitted correctly) upvc shiplap looks good in the right area

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back