UPVC Door (Have to slam shut to lock)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

Just tipped in from a late shift and had to do the dreaded 'lock the front door routine'.

The front door to out house is UPVC with a multi point locking mechanism and euro lock.

When I enter the house and then turn to lock the door it cannot be pushed shut quietly and then locked.

The door has to be literally launched at the frame before the handle can be lifted to ensure the multi point locks engage. As you can imagine it's not quiet and by the time I'm upstairs the other half is already moaning about how noisy I am.

When stood within the house and facing the door the hinges are on the right and the lock to the left.

When the door is locked I can still hear traffic and there is still a bit of a draft coming through.

I have previously manouvered the catches on the frame further forward (to the exterior) of the frame to try and reduce the breeze but it hasn't helped much and the door dosent close any easier......

Do u think it's time for a new door or is there a simple fix I'm overlooking?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The hinges are fully adjustable dependant on the make of door. Usually adjustment is done via the use of an Allen key on small grub screws located under removable caps on the hinges. Don't adjust too much at once as you could make it worse and ideally adjust them in sequence till you get the desired effect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back