UPVC Door Hinge Compression

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've currently got an issue with my front door and wondering if anyone would be able to provide advice.

The door doesn't seal properly when closed, and there is a very small gap. The door needs to be moved "inwards" further into the frame. After some searching around online, it seemed that I need to adjust the compression on the door hinge.

The hinge looks like a normal 3D hinge for upvc doors, where you would adjust the compression using a screw/bolt at the top of the hinge, like in this picture: http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h174/Newcon/DHI11-5.jpg

However, I've popped off the screw cover at the top of the hinge, and there doesn't appear to be a screw underneath. Instead it seems to be a piece of solid black plastic.

Am I missing something? Is there a chance that I have some basic hinge that doesn't have the compression feature (but looks like a normal 3D hinge)?

Door Seal:

Hinge:

Under screw-cover

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks very much!

Sponsored Links
Is there a plastic cap under the hinge? If so remove it and take a look to see if its a allen key hex hole, this is generally the one for lifting the hinge pins up but it could also be the in and out adjustment you need.

If that fails then lift the door off the hinges and turn the pins round 180 degrees manually or so the hinge pin is closer to the frame

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back