upvc door hinge problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a upvc front door and for the past year it has been difficult to close as it catches on the brass locking plate which is situated about 6ft up the frame. as a result of the door being slammed numerous times it now appears to have taken its toll on the hinges and i have noticed that one of the screws in the bottom hinge has dropped out. the door has 3 hinges which are white metal and have 2 screws in each (top and bottom) that are allen key type. there is also what appears to be an allen key grub screw that is screwed into the side of the hinge. is it a straight forward job of just screwing the screw back in and adjusting the grub screw? also is there anyway i can adjust the door as to not catch the locking plate on the frame? when i say locking plate i refer to the little brass insert in the frame in which a bar slides into when i lift the handle to lock the door. any help would be really appreciated. thanks.

Sponsored Links
As mentioned above, the door requires adjusting to bring it back into square - likely it's dropped on the locking side. If it's only catching on one of the strikes, you could drop the strike down a fraction to compensate - but the correct way is to jack the door up and re-pack it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back