Upvc door...how do you Fit the alarm sensor on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

i have a wooden patio door..single, and am changing it to a upvc one.
My existing one has an alarm built in to it with two magnet type thing that comnect when you close the door.
The double glazing rep says they wont fit these for me when they come (i thought they might make doors with little holes with blanker plugs etc)

Has anyone any idea how i can fix it on please?

thankyou

Sponsored Links
Photo of existing contact will help ,
Upvc doors usually have surface mounted contacts fitted

Hi there

i have a wooden patio door..single, and am changing it to a upvc one.
My existing one has an alarm built in to it with two magnet type thing that comnect when you close the door.
The double glazing rep says they wont fit these for me when they come (i thought they might make doors with little holes with blanker plugs etc)

Has anyone any idea how i can fix it on please?

thankyou

a small metal drill bit. Drill the holes then fit the door contact

Thanks houston (love the name)! Worried re this as a...can u drill into plastic? B. Wont it invalidate my 10 year door guarantee?

Sponsored Links
Not that simple
Depends on design of upvc door frame.
Between the frame and the door is space that may be too large to fit a flush contact.
Some upvc companies do not let you fit contacts on the doors as they say it will invalidate the guarantee/warranty

Hi there,
The one we have got , which is all wired in apparently wont be the one we are using cos its massive. The one my other half had in mind is shown below....they are little but still cant be used without drilling. I imagined cos lots of people have upvc and wired alarms, there might be a ‘special thing!’. I was wrong,
E01240B5-30DC-48D3-B889-EB43B2677559.jpeg

Surface contact ....2 x 1/8 holes on each block SHOULD not void any warranty AND if so I would tell them where to stick the door !

Unfortunately better to check that it will or wont invalidate your 10 year warranty, even if the fault isn't related to the fixing of the contact, so many will say its been tampered with so warranty invalid.

You maybe able to stick some contacts on without damaging the unit, although they are supposed to be screwed on.

You could go wireless I guess, and stick it on some of the kits to convert hard wired panels to wireless capable panels are fine, especially if your panel isn't capable of handling wireless on its own.

Unfortunately better to check that it will or wont invalidate your 10 year warranty, even if the fault isn't related to the fixing of the contact, so many will say its been tampered with so warranty invalid.

You maybe able to stick some contacts on without damaging the unit, although they are supposed to be screwed on.

You could go wireless I guess, and stick it on some of the kits to convert hard wired panels to wireless capable panels are fine, especially if your panel isn't capable of handling wireless on its own.
Hi there, could you tell me how to convert wired to wireless please...would i have to do the whole house?

never ever know of anybody having warranty issues due to contacts been fitted ....probably another urban myth

I know we have been asked several times not to because customers have been told it invalidates the warranty.

Had a quote for some new doors very recently and told the same by all installation companies quoting.

I advise always check the terms and conditions of the warranty before proceeding.

The facts are that how many actually have an issue with a door that they are aware of, that the door has a screwed contact and so on.
It is unlikely to cause an issue with the door, but if you have spent a few hundred quid on a new door, check first rather than risk it.

Had some customers insist of just PIR's facing the front door because of it too, scared to stick on, mind you that was before the micro contacts and the double sided tape they use, which can be removed completely and cleanly.

Think its fool hardy not to check where you stand before putting holes in the door.

The so called 10 year warranty is probably not worth the paper it’s printed on ....as most of these companies change the name slightly to get out of any claim ...

like insurance and saying you have an alarm, you may not get paid out if you are then burgled and he system, wasn't maintained, or set.

well that's another issue about name changes and companies going under...…….

the warranty may well state whats included or excluded, it should, but it could be vague.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back