UPVC door, how to raise up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The door is scraping on the bottom when closing so I need to raise it up. However I can't figure out how.

1000000912.jpg

1000000911.jpg

Seems like I have to pry out that black vertical strip on the frame, and undo those 4 Phillips head screws and raise it up a bit. Is that right?

Sponsored Links
I had the same problem with mine. Try taking the black cap out of the bottom of the hinge. On mine there was an Allen key and by screwing it in, it lifted the hinge.

I suspect that you may need to lift off the black plastic caps on the hinges and use an allen key, but I am only guessing. It might help those in the know if you take photos of the outside.

Edit------ was typing as @Mottie replied.

Edit 2---- If only the further edge of the bottom is scraping, check the meeting edge gap. It may be the case the the door is tilting slightly and that the bottom hinge (and to a lesser degree, the middle hinge) need to project further away from the frame.

Last edited:
I had the same problem with mine. Try taking the black cap out of the bottom of the hinge. On mine there was an Allen key and by screwing it in, it lifted the hinge.
I suspect that you may need to lift off the black plastic caps on the hinges and use an allen key, but I am only guessing. It might help those in the know if you take photos of the outside.

Edit------ was typing as @Mottie replied.

Edit 2---- If only the further edge of the bottom is scraping, check the meeting edge gap. It may be the case the the door is tilting slightly and that the bottom hinge (and to a lesser degree, the middle hinge) need to project further away from the frame.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Is it this cap you're talking about?

1000000912 copy.jpg

I'll have a look tomorrow but I have a feeling I took the caps off a while ago (had this problem for ages) and there was nothing there to adjust.

Alternatively I guess I could put in a washer here (arrow) to lift it up on the spindle and close the gap (green circle):

1000000912.jpg

It's scraping all the way along the bottom, not tilted in any way. Just needs to be lifted up vertically.

Sponsored Links
Is it this cap you're talking about?
Yes. Take the top and bottom caps off and see what’s in there. You're looking for a hex that will take an Allen key. Either one at the bottom that pushes it up or one at the top that pulls it up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back