uPVC door lock wont close very well

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have a standard lift handle to engage bolts then turn key to lock. But the lift bit is getting very difficult - sometimes it works fine, but more often than not it wont lift at all as though something in the mechanism is getting jamming. This happens both with the door open and closed so it must just be an issue with the door mechanism rather than the frame. When it sticks the only way to get it to work is to depress the handle then try to lift it straight up - and after half a dozen attempts this might move the bolts.

Is there anything that I can try to fix this or does the mechanism sound broken? I dont want to attempt removing the door mechanism without knowing whats behind in case a million bits fall out :D

Sponsored Links
I havent tried oil or wd40 as yet - wasnt sure where to target!

The mechanism is the whole length of the door. If I want to get it out to have a look, is it just a case of removing the lock barrel first and then unscrewing the mechanism from the door edge - or is it more complicated than that (I dont want to be left with a door that I cant lock at all :D)

Thats about the size of it mate, remove all the cross head screws, leave any hex heads, these are normally the ones holding the locks and other bits in place and pull the lock out.

I'd give it a good oil up first, just spray it in all the holes where the locks come out.

Sponsored Links
couldnt lay my hands on any suitable oil last night but had a look anyway - took out the lock barrel and the retaining screw wasnt particularly tight. It all seems much better after putting it back together and tightening up the screws. I'll still probably get hold of some lubricant and give it a squirt at the weekend.

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back