uPVC door not locking/engaging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Saracen multi point door lock for the garden, with “032” mark on it. It has 2 hooks, 1 deadbolt, and 2 roller cams.

When I turn the doorhandle up (with the door ajar), the hook and roller cam at the bottom comes out a little, deadbolt in the middle comes out about 5mm, and the hook and roller cam at the top come out a little too (but not a much as the ones at the bottom) but not fully. Also, I can see that the middle section of the lock, near the deadbolt has bulged out a little, and when I try to force the lever upwards, I can feel it is catching somewhere in the middle and making the middle section bulge out by about 2-3mm. In fact, one of the screws in the middle has come loose and when I try to screw it back it just turns freely.

It previously used to work OK (although it would always require a lot of force upwards to get it to engage.

Is there an easy way I can fix this, or do I have to get a DG/locksmith out?

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the gearbox has failed somewhere, with it being stiff to lock before and the bulge, the top and bottom halves of the mech are clearly out of sync.

If your confident on taking the mech out the door and doing some simple measurements then theres no reason why you can't do it yourself, you already know the make and terminology ie cams, hooks, deadbolt so just look around the net, heres a good place to start....

http://www.dgsupplyline.co.uk/results.php?category_id=10&sub_category_id=84

Before buying a new lock, I thought I'd check out the multipoint lock. I unscrewed it took it off the door, and eventually got the mechanism to lock by wiggling the handle around. I reckon it must have been debris/dirt stones in the mechanism. Then I sprayed it with GT85 lubricant. It's not perfect, but it works OK now 3/4 times. I'm still going to replace the lock, but at least now I don't have to take a week off work and sit in the kitchen with a baseball bat.

Can't believe some DG company was going to charge me £250 to replace and fit the lock!! :eek:

Cheers crank39, will take a look at that website.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back