uPVC double glazed windows - condensation problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Please could someone take a look at these photos?

View media item 26693View media item 26692
Every window in my house gets condensation along the bottom and up the sides of the windows on the inside. A few windows in the house it's also outside too.

The windows are only 3 years old. No washing left to dry on radiators or anything like that.

Could it be the windows?

Thanks
mikeinthemidlands

Sponsored Links
do you ventilate every day for a while or at least once a week for an hour or so

do you ventilate every day for a while or at least once a week for an hour or so

No, to be honest the windows are never open as the other half always complains about the cold!

I was thinking of installing trickle vents on each window? Worth considering do you think?

mikeinthemidlands

Good advice from Biggie re venting.

Mike its amazing how human breathing contributes to condensation as well as a host of other things. Trickle vents might be an idea. I suppose your missus whacks up the temp like mine does :evil:

Sponsored Links
This isn't a major concern really. It's caused because the aluminium spacer bar is such a good conductor/poor insulator.
When it's cooler outside the temperature is transferred to the internal pane (known as edge effect).
You will always get a small amount of condensation like this as any small amount in the air will condense on the coldest surface which is most likely to be at the edges of the glass.

I hope this helps!

Ventilate, ventilate & then ventilate some more. Do you have the now obligatory extract fans in the kitchen/bath/utility rooms? These are major producers of moisture in the home & it has to go somewhere; if it can’t ventilate naturally it will condense on the coldest surface it can find, in this case the cold spots around the edge of your DG units. Condensation on the outside of your windows is normal (usually first thing in the morning) with modern, high efficiency coated DG units.

Tell your other half to toughen up or buy her a roll neck sweater :LOL: ; fresh air is good for you anyway! ;)

Cheers for the responses guys.

I think I will install trickle vents though to cut down on the condensation.

Any tips on fitting these? Do I need one vent per window and I take it these should be installed at the top of the frame in the centre?

Cheers
mikeinthemidlands

I agree with the other suggestions, ventilation is the best answer. We have a similar problem, but only in the main bedroom. Do you have thick curtains? These can make condensation worse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back