uPVC fascia on to sprockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had my old soffits and fascia boards removed recently and replaced with uPCV materials. The fascia is a tall fascia and was orignally 3 strips of wood high (40-50cm), the gutter being attached to the top section of wood.

As the workmen were fitting the replacement uPCV, they told me that the rafters were all straight and good condition so they didn't need to use uPVC sprockets to attach the new fascia as there was already wood attached to the ends of the rafters for the old wooden lengths. The end result looks fine and straight.

Are uPVC sprockets necessary (meaning they cut a corner) or are they only required if the line is not straight or the uPCV can not be fixed to the wood due to bad wood?

Thanks in advance.

View media item 67408

Sponsored Links
I have no idea what upvc sprockets are but fixing to the rafter ends is an acceptable way to secure fascias boards.

Why is the fascia so deep? Do you have a 'warm' pitched roof or have you had to opt for a stunted eaves overhang to avoid encroachment etc?

Had to google sprockets.

Looks like a nice tidy job, would trust their judgment on that one.

Sponsored Links
Had to google sprockets.
We had to do a sprocketed eaves detail once whereby the roof flattens out for the last say 8 courses of (plain) tiles, from say 50 degrees down to 35 degrees.

Took me an entire day just to make and fit the sprockets. It was a hipped roof though.

What are upvc sprockets though?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back