UPVC Skirting board ... fixing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi any advice please.....?

Regarding removal of wooden skirting board and replacing with plastic profile. (Plastered walls)

Expansion? Do I need to worry much about this?

Best adhesives and how much to use and how much clearance from floor...fine finishing mitre'ed corners with decorators caulk y/n ?

As usual thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
Plastic skirtings will look **** within a year, thousands of small scratch marks all over.

I would use grip-fill, or a similar grab adhesive

Caulk needs painting, otherwise it discolours, which isn't your intention if using PVC I would assume? In which case you would want to use silicone. But don't use PVC skirtings anyway...!

It will still end up scratched to death. My parents made this mistake, and now are looking to revert to wood. The PVC looks cheap, and the scratches catch the light and it looks horrible...

Sponsored Links
Dont use PVC mouldings or trimming pieces ever - they were a bad idea in the seventies, and the bad idea has got much worse since.
Dont attempt to paint Pvc & dont use painters caulk as an adhesive.
If you want your house to look like its been built by the pound shop then ignore this post.

I'm starting to think that PVC or composite is the way to go, Now the EU has banned the chemicals they used to have in Gloss paint the modern stuff is rubbish. It goes yellow in months or just doesn't clean up.

I agree that flat white plastic will scratch up and look awful in no time but the wood-grain stuff is good especially the darker Oaks etc
http://www.eurocell.co.uk/interior-products/skirting-boards

Thanks again for your thoughts..... an interesting topic lots of things I hadn't considered on both sides of the discussion. ...

Oh my God I didn't even know they made UPVC skirting. That is possibly the ugliest thing I have ever seen. Why does this even exist?!?
5841627_700b.jpg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back