UPVC v Aluminium Frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Because I'm a landlord and have carried out a lot of renovation projects a friend has asked my advice on whether to install UPVC or aluminium replacement windows. Frankly, I didn't know that aluminium existed.

Apparently aluminium frames are slimmer and around 25% more expensive but they were wondering about the advantages and disadvantages of the two. And does the aluminium need painting?

If anyone has any advice I would be grateful. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
I would say UPVC ever time, anodising aluminium makes it look outdated & a bit old hat now. The frames can also get very cold in winter & if the frame design doesn’t include a thermal break between the inside/outside, condensation forming on the inside of the frame can be a problem. You don't need to paint but it can start to look shabby after a few years when the anodising starts to fail.

I have aluminium sliding sashes. It is very much slimmer. and perhaps less easy to burgle, than plastic. It does not get shabby with age and does not look "cheap" like plastic does.

You can get it anodised in colours, I think the dark bronze looks good as it tones with stained hardwood trim. I believe you can now get the inside in white even if the outside isn't, which would look good. mine are "silver" which is not my favourite. One of my relations went for gloss white which I thinks looks excellent.

Modern ones have a "thermal break" to overcome heat loss or condensation due to the metal.

I have a few small windows which would lose a lot of glass area if I had those great ugly plastic windows

but I don't like plastic windows and doors so I won't anyway.

Sponsored Links
I have a few small windows which would lose a lot of glass area if I had those great ugly plastic windows

but I don't like plastic windows and doors so I won't anyway.
Would never have guessed that John :LOL:

Didn’t know you could get coloured anodising though; thought it was just silver or bronze.

Modern aluminum frames are nothing like the older ones and are much better than plastic in some situations. In fact they are having a bit of a return to fashion with some developers.

They are thermally broken so that there is no condensation issue on the internal face, and are available in a range of styles, and colours - all with lower frame profiles, so let in more actual light and better sightlines.

Plastic may have a reduced life to what the manufacturers claim, and can fade and be tarnished by traffic relatively quickly

One thing that I have noticed is that a plastic frame will need replacing after the smallest of fires, whereas a timber or metal frame can most likley be repaired or touched up.

Also as a landlord, make sure that you will be able to get parts for the frames in say five years time, as many existing frame manufacturers have gone bump and the hardware or seals can not be found for maintenance - so the frames end up needing to be replaced

One thing that I have noticed is that a plastic frame will need replacing after the smallest of fires, whereas a timber or metal frame can most likley be repaired or touched up.
Funnily enough, my old granny (who had the White Aluminium casements) had a barn fire, and the heat melted the plastic "georgian" grid inside one of the house windows, so it was replaced. AFAIK the frames were undamaged.

ss - aluminium everytime if it's a choice between them and plastic. You can get a huge range of anodised colours and some that you can specify if the one you want isn't in the standard palette. Anodising modifies the surface of the ali, it's not a layer that's applied, and is therefore a resilient.

Plakka windows are punted on a lie; folks think (are convinced by the suppliers) that uPVC will last forever but of course it goes brittle and will fail. Just about every property in the country has plakka windows but the double-glazing boys are still busy ... why? They are replacing the failed/brittle/discoloured stuff they put-in 25 years ago.

Anyway, I'm a 'wood man'. Nothing like a good, old fashioned, well-maintained wooden box-sash window.

WEATHER GASKETS is the biggest issue with aluminium,everyone has seen the shrinkage in gaskets over the years,aluminium systems havnt got welded gaskets unlike most upvc profiles have these days. And super glue isnt the answer!!,as most aluminium system manufacturers in the country use.
Commercial they are great,domestic upvc every time!!

of course, the aluminum is much better than pvc ,the price is also higher than pvc , :p

WEATHER GASKETS is the biggest issue with aluminium,everyone has seen the shrinkage in gaskets over the years,aluminium systems havnt got welded gaskets unlike most upvc profiles have these days.
Are you sure :?: :confused:

My aluminium windows are now 27yrs old and they still looks brand new including all the gaskets

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back