UPVCu Windows Very Draughty!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all, newbie here hope your well.

Just bought my first house and am trying to do as much as the work myself if possible.

I'm having a problem with most of the windows in the house, this being that when they are closed they are really draughty. I've added a vid - any advice would be terrific.

Sponsored Links
Ive noticed you only slipping the paper in at the top corners, when the window is closed and the handle locked down can you slip the paper in anywhere else or is it just the top corners, how about halfway up the frame too?

If it is just the corners then you need new hinges, judging by the size of the opener you'll need 600mm or 24" friction hinges, there's loads of threads on here on how to change hinges, the issue I can see though it's an upstairs window although I know you sid say you have more, the opener has to be removed and it will be very heavy with the glass still in place, it's externally beaded so the glass can't be removed from inside to help with weight, it's a 2 man job all day long unless you have a sash mate like these, £600 a pop though

Like above if only the top is not sealing it is almost defiantly the hinges you can buy brand new ones quite cheap in somewhere like screwfix. I changed them on an upstairs window without removing the glass but was heavy so do NOT attempt alone of taking it out.

A quick fix if you do not want to change the hinges just yet is buy some draft excluder tape https://www.amazon.co.uk/ROLLS-DRAU...5586&sr=8-1&keywords=foam+draft+excluder+tape

Is just a temp solution if you want to say wait till summer before removing the windows.

If you use a couple of cam belt straps wrapped round the window about a foot from either side, wrapped top to bottom, this will help you support the window as you unscrew the hinges from the frame. I've done it myself, but it was a struggle, so find someone to help you. It's possible that the screw holes on the window have become lose, so you may need to drill different holes in the new hinge before you fit them.

Sponsored Links
You could try cleaning and greasing the runners and the triangle blocks on the hinges

Is the hinge on the frame sitting as close to the ridge as it possibly can; ie, as close in to the room as possible. Cleaning the runners good, and a little bit of silicone occasionally helps, but too much grease can make the window drop ****; but as Dave suggests, hava a look at the triangle block at the top of the hinge on the frame, and make sure that the little pointy bit on the window side of the hinge is locating into it - change of hinge if it isn't.

Thanks for all the comments! I really appreciate it. I'm going to order some new hinges! I'll let you know how I get on!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back