Urgent - Advice needed on job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Got someone in to do the bathroom. Could anyone give me some opinions on the tiling so far.

Top left tile fell off soon after guy finished and went. Middle one I tried to move after about 5 hours and came off without much effort. Last one on row I was also able to remove without much effort after 18 hours.

1. Does the tile need a good amount of coverage of adhesive? Won't dot and dab cause problems?

2. Should surface should be clear and not free from old materials that could peel?

3. Should the shower area be tanked?

4. Should the gaps at each end of the shower tray meet the wall or can they be filled with silicone and expanding foam?

Thanks

ftrs5Ju.jpg

cSJE1S9.jpg

pvbV3d1.jpg

ZlTKJyh.jpg

Ki6uqCn.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
the old stuff needs to be removed better, it appears it hasnt been or at least not very well.

his extra dabs seem to be the main cause of failure. as the tile is trying to hold on in 5 tiny spots, without these dabs the full face of the tile would adhere to the adhesive.

IMO as a DIYer:

Yes, yes.

Yes.

Tanking? Yes. If you're paying for it. What did they quote you for?

Ideally, the tray should fit, then tiling cover the join. Finding trays which are the right size can often be tricky.though.
Silicone will fail and foam will get waterlogged.

Is that shower tray totally unprotected with all that **** on it?

That looks like a failure bound to happen.

Sponsored Links
If there's a big gap you might be better off putting some hardiebacker boards up - they should remove the gap, provide a better surface for tiling and reduce chances of water getting past the tiles to the wall and then down.

Ideally you should have shower tray sealing tape around the edge of the tray that goes under the tiles.

I think you know the answer to all your questions. Stop him now and find someone who knows what they are doing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back