Urgent help / advice removing a capacitor from Riello burner

Hi, when I checked the line on the boiler side of the filter there was nothing. I then thought to check the filter but when I unscrewed the two screws on the cap I assumed the lower part would pull off but it wouldnt. I therefore decided to leave it. Tomorrow I thought I would check the line into the filter to see if there is any flow there, and then work my way back to the tank. Is it possible for the kerosene to freeze up in these temps as I know that my oil suplly line from the tank runs about 2 or 3m aboveis ground and not insulated at all?

Sponsored Links
Start right back at the tank, and check the outlet filter and bowl for grot and ice. If you can get oil to flow here, the next step is the burner end of the pipe - including any exterior devices such as fire valves, etc.
Kero should be able to stand temperatures of about 30 below, I believe.
John :)

I then thought to check the filter but when I unscrewed the two screws on the cap I assumed the lower part would pull off but it wouldnt

It sounds like you were unscrewing the bleed screws, look for a nut on the bottom of the filter.
As John says start at the tank, if you've got oil coming out you can then move upstream, no oil at this point then you can't go any further.

Sponsored Links
sorry to hijack the thread but im in a pickle here. my burner stopped working this morning,

so i bled it from the hex bolt some bubbles then oil started comming out. fired it up lasted about 3-4 mins then died, ive justed noticed that there isnt any oil in the filter now - i only got oil 2 days ago so its not that.

so could that mean the pipes comming from the tank are frozen ( i didnt think kerosene froze)

I chased up my oil delivery man yesterday and they've just turned up and delivered 4 days early and after hours. What a service. After the top up I bled the pump via the hex screw but nothing was really flowing. I then undid the outlet pipe of the internal filter to check for oil and slowly its started to trickle out. Connected back up and after several more attempts the boiler is back running smoothly with the new parts I fitted. Thanks to everyone who assisted with advice on this forum. Kids, wife and dog now nice and warm.

Regarding the last post, my oil delivery man said (as I believe others have done so on this forum) that its possible that water has entered the external filter and frozen. Had I not been able to get the boiler going this evening then this would have been my next port of call to make sure the oil is flowing ok.

had a guy come out and look at it, there is a brass pin type thing that comes out of the oil filter @ the burner, it needed to be pulled out a tad.

it may need re-set or replaced but as long as i have heat in this weather i dont care :D

had a guy come out and look at it, there is a brass pin type thing that comes out of the oil filter @ the burner, it needed to be pulled out a tad.

it may need re-set or replaced but as long as i have heat in this weather i dont care :D

Which burner make is this, mate?

Of course - bang on again! :p
Best not to fiddle with those things - I just look at 'em and they leak.

its a riello but i dunno which model number it is

i'll take a pic in the morning of the exact thing im talking about or i'll scan the net for one ;)

sorry to hijack the thread but im in a pickle here. my burner stopped working this morning,

Don't be sorry, and DON'T hijack threads. It causes confusion. It costs you absolutely nothing to start your own thread, they are free as far as you're concerned, and you can discuss YOUR problem, and not make it difficult by having two problems being discussed at the same time.

Don't be sorry, and DON'T hijack threads. It causes confusion. It costs you absolutely nothing to start your own thread, they are free as far as you're concerned, and you can discuss YOUR problem, and not make it difficult by having two problems being discussed at the same time.

reason i jumped in was he was having trouble with his riello burner too, i was sitting with no heat whatsoever no hot water and 2 kids ( dont know if you've noticed but it f**kin arctic ) i needed help.

Then answer his problem and start your own thread for your problem. It's not too hard. You are after advice for free, at least do your bit to make it easier without confusing the issue by mixing problems on the same thread.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back