URGENT HELP!! Flooring not quite level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys urgently need your help was about to start laying some laminate. But there seems to be a hump in the floor where there was once a wall.

I didn't think it was that bad and thought the underlay I bought would make it OK, however it seems to accentuate it.

Below is picks of the issue, need your opinions if possible, wife is 7 months pregnant and going bananas at the state of the house,

IMG_20161112_083100.jpg IMG_20161112_083027.jpg IMG_20161112_082957.jpg

Sponsored Links
hmmmm, if it isnt too long of a run then an SDS and a chisel would at least reduce the hump, although you might like to take that opportunity to make it properly flat

Another option if you don't want the noisy dusty side is to get some hardboard or similar and pack up the rest of the room. However depending how much you need to go up, you might have issues with door clearances. Also it'll cost a bit.
Chipping it away would be cheaper, just avoid using an angle grinder indoors. This is the voice of experience, the dust is unbelievable.

Sponsored Links
Lol

Thanks guys, am gonna give the sds a go, of it doesn't work will go with carpet.

I did think about packing it out, but would be adding 15 mm on the concrete side, then will have dodgy looking skirting etc :(

I know I could get the floor leveled but figure this would be expensive and would have to remove the skirting (wouldn't be a problem if the walls hadn't been replastered by previous owner and cover the tops of the skirting, if I remove them will end up with even more work just before Xmas )

Thanks for your help guys.

If your wife thinks that,s bad she whats to come to our house it,s like a house after the blitze, we,ve had no heating since june, like above though i would go for removing the lump slowly, i used a 9 inch grinder once and next door,s kitchen got it, through the cavity.

You might be best off going with carpet - after feathering out the bump with, say, SLC.

The line of the old wall will have a course of bricks that were left in too high when the attempt to make good was made.
If you remove the top bricks and chisel & nibble back the concrete for about 200mm, you could then make good a gradual slope but it would still be a bump which is still not good for laminate.
There's no need to buy any tools - a hammer and bolster or cold chisel will do.

In essence, whatever you do you will still have a bump because the concrete floor was poured higher than the T&G floor.

Thanks vinn, just attacked the bump with the sds, it has improved it but not enough to warrant risking putting the laminate down.

We are going to go with carpet now, I'f money and time wasn't an object we would just get done whatever needed to be done.

Will try that SLC before laying the carpet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back