Urgent help needed rabbit wee on wooden floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My sons rabbit has urinated on his bedroom floor, it has had a rug on top and we just pulled it back to discover the floor has dark patches on it. The areas are already dry and all advice I can find is based on it still being wet. The floor is solid oak and is Osmo hardwax oiled.

Bar sanding etc. is there any thing I can do?

Cheers

Nic

Sponsored Links
Rabbit urine makes a mess of almost all types of wood when the urine produces ammonia and the alkali dissolves the cellulose, with softening of the wood and dark staining resulting. The alkali will also react with any natural oils that have been used to treat the wood.

Scrape off any deposits or soft decayed wood.

Vinegar is recommended to neutralise the alkali, and dissolve some of the water-insoluble deposits. This needs some time to soak in, so cover with a damp cloth or polythene or cling film to stop drying out.

Then sodium bicarbonate to remove excess acetic acid from the wood. Rubbing in dry with an old rag will help abrade any loose matter from the surface

Finally any remaining staining may be bleached with sodium peroxide, or possibly "Vanish" stain remover which is also an oxygen bleach product.

It may still be necessary to sand the surface down to remove any depression that may have been formed in the wood surface.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back