URGENT HELP PLEASE - Window leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Woke this morning to find a leak coming in on the inside of the join between kitchen window and plaster wall, as per photos.

How can I repair this please?

It is still raining at the moment but there is the chance according to the weatherman of a dry spell tomorrow morning, would hope to do something then as there is more rain to follow!!

Thanks for any replies.

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Check the seal and replace the sealant where the window head meets the brickwork on the outside......any gap there at all, and the water is in.
John :)

Many thanks for your quick reply.

Looking outside and refering to photo where should I mastic, the top part looks like the metal lintal, about 1/2" showing then the wooden frame.

Should I mastic lintel to brickwork or lintel to wooden frame?

I would say for that much water to be getting in it is most likely coming in somewhere higher up like the roof and getting into the cavity.
It could be soaking through the bricks though.

You could seal between the bricks and the lintel but assuming Im right and its getting in further up it could make things worse as I expect alot of it is draining out that way at the moment.

Can you show some pics of above the window including the roof?

Sponsored Links
Cannot take a photo at moment, now dark.

If the water was getting in higher up would it not show in the room above, ceiling or that window?

I can't see any issue between the aluminium and wood, but there may be a suspect area between the wood and lintel.
I guess at this time water is coursing down the brickwork and running through the lintel join.
Any faulty brick pointing above would have the same effect, of course.
John :)

If the water was getting in higher up would it not show in the room above, ceiling or that window?
Assuming it is cavity wall then no, any breach in the outer skin of brickwork and the leak will show up at the next opening, unlikely to show up in the floor above. Brick outer skins are not waterproof.

Judging by the rust I would safely assume its a metal lintel of some sort. Most likely a catnic or a L shaped steel. If water is being blown in there I would think it unlikely to go up and over the lip of the lintel witch is likely to be between 2" and 8" high.
Surely it would go to the sides and cause damp spots down the sides of the window,
Thats my reasoning for saying its coming from above.

Not looked at the pics tbh, seen it before though. Perfect situation for a salesman to blag you into a full house of windows!

Definitely! People get scared into replacing for the 'best'. If someone looks like they have all the answers and know their stuff, they can put the wind up someone and make them spend unneccesarily

Many thanks for all your replies and advice.

As yesterday was dry I took a good look at the brickwork above the window and all looks fine, all morter intact, then took a quick look at the roof and that looked OK as well.

Therefore decided to seal both joints above the window, lintel to brickwork and lintel to wooden frame, does not look very pretty, but we will replace the window in the better weather for a UPVC type instead of the alluminium.

Now will wait and see and hope that has done the trick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back