urgent help:vaulted ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am having a vaulted ceiling in my kitchen and the builder says i need to have cross beams to make a triangle of the roof structure.

my problem is that i do not want any beams going across the room and only wanted a ceiling like this /\ not A .

if i have no choice then i have seen on TV some beams that are chrome bars does anyone know where i could purchase these to use instead of wooden beams?.

please answer asap as the builder is continuing tomorrow.

thanks

Sponsored Links
roofs can spread, so the ceiling joists , apart from holding the plasterboard ceiling, also stop the roof from spreading. in roofs without joists like the vaulted one that you want, then you fix a steel rsj at the ridge. this stops any downward movement at the ridge, and hey presto... no spread. if its a lean to roof, then the wall and pole plates will prevent any of the above, so an open roof can be done, no problem.

p.s. don't forget though, because you loose the opportunity to use standard, above ceiling loft insulation, you will need to use celotex, kingspan or similar " warm deck" type of roof insulation system.

Sponsored Links
you can fix bracings closer to the ridge forming a " flat top" about two thirds the way up. these will have to be bolted to the rafters.

the kitchen is about 4x4 metres with a toilet block about 1.2x1 metre. fixed from floor to roof in one corner would this support the roof enough?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back