URGENT-Is the boiler flu too close.

Lets summarise

1. for what it matters in your words you done a 4 year city and guilds apprentice ship with the gas board, The apprenticeship was only 3 years no matter who you done it with and to have done 4 would have meant failing a year.

2. From my response i think the opposite would be true as its me who has took the time to actually read the corgi press/technical bulletins and phone them to find out whether boilers fitted to standard have killed people rather than believe an urban myth some walter mitty character has put.

3. You on the otherhand have shown a total disregard for your supposed 60/75 employees and supposed 200000 customers and think it is beneath you to take 5 minutes out of your day to find out facts that could prevent there lives been put in danger and your employees had up for manslaughter. But never mind you have kept them warm will you have helped kill them. Simple question of asking for an email date gets such a response, strange

4. Corgi maniac, i very much doubt it but whether them capita or whoever are in charge they are our point of contact in what is happening in the real world throughout the country and not in some walter mitty`s brain cell.

Not interseted in taking any money off you as i have more than enough of my own . and your little rants about being told you where not corgi registered and that seems to be you little bug bear did not come from me so yet another thing you have got wrong.

You may find it easier if you let one of your personalities deal with Agile and one deal with me then you wont get what each of us are saying get jumbled up together, do try and keep up :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Here's how I see it
1 The flue is too close to the boundary
2 It discharges over an adjacent property
3 It is liable to cause a nuisance
4 It is not installed in accordance with the guidelines set out in CE30 which states :-
Flue terminal position
Condensing boilers will produce a visible plume of water vapour for a significant proportion of their operating time. To avoid this causing a nuisance, a vertical flue can remove the plume to a high level.
At low level, the plume may be a nuisance. Some boilers eject flue gases horizontally in a powerful jet which may not disperse for a considerable distance. Some of the key minimum statutory distances from terminals to obstacles (such as opposite walls) are shown in figure 24. These distances are set to maintain safe operation of the appliance but in many cases will be insufficient to avoid nuisance and therefore figure 24 also gives suggested minimum distances help alleviate plume nuisance. Refer to building regulations(47,48,49) which show all minimum statutory distances from flue terminals.

In law I would say it comes under tort and you could see a solicitor about it but its probably much better to print out that link and sort it out with your neighbour over a cuppa. Pointing the terminal the other way would probably satisfy me but its your problem not mine.

Got the details from my neighbour the boiler is an Ideal Icos HE18, the manager of the company that installed it recently came round to fix a leak and said that his guys had done a good job. He also told her don’t worry as new the boiler only produces steam and NOTHING ELSE!! Clearly has no idea, especially as I had given on paper the full products of combustion for my neighbour to show him, probably had no clue what they meant.

However I just got hold of the installation manual from my neighbour and it clearly states on page 8 under FLUE INSTALLATION:

"Pluming will occur at the terminal so the terminal positions which cause a nuisance should be avoided."

Also

"IMPORTANT- It is absolutely ESSENTIAL to ensure in practice, that products of combustion discharging from the terminal cannot re-enter the building or any other adjacent buildings through ventilators, windows, doors, other sources of natural air infiltration, or forced ventilation/ air conditioning.

If this should occur the appliance MUST be turned OFF, labelled as "UNSAFE" until corrective action can be taken.”

http://www.idealboilers.com/docs/pdf/icos_he_manual.pdf

Do you think CORGI will take notice of it?

Thank you Trundles Tricks for being so considerate when it comes to the subject of the plume from a Condensing Flue, I am currently having this problem, today was awful as the plumimg along with its smell was swirling above my front door, driveway and the car as well as in front of the windows.

I don't find it all funny that some of us have to live with someone elses fumes and pluming passing the windows or even entering the property in some cases.

True the windows are not open all the time during the winter but some people still like to open a window occasionally to let in some fresh air, those who find it acceptable to have these plumes floating around should try living with it themselves.

I have read so many conflicting opinions regarding the flue terminal that I am now totally confused and do not know what to do regarding the situation.

The fitter who installed my neighbours boiler sighted the flue approx. 6 inches from the centre of a party wall, so much for being invironmental friendly, enough said

Sponsored Links
I have read so many conflicting opinions regarding the flue terminal that I am now totally confused and do not know what to do regarding the situation.
If you want my advice you'll set aside the issue of potential fume hazard, and base your objection on the grounds that it's a nuisance, because it interferes with your right to enjoy having your window open.

And when I say object, I don't mean be objectionable - just approach your neighbour and ask him, firmly but nicely, to arrange for the flue to be modified to direct the plume elsewhere.

OMG!!!!! I had soooo much to do tonight, but was captivated by this 8 page thread/ cage fight.
Last post 2008....now 2011. Did the CORGI man ever get identified? (They do so love to big it up to justify their existance).....exactly WHAT was the bet?

Pluming was/is an eternal problem simply because NIMBI's/ uneducated but understandably concerned folk can see it. Biillions of non condensing boilers were installed close to neighbours windows, but no one complained coz 'out of sight, out of mind'. In the early days I fitted my first condensing boiler, and a neighbour called 999 because she thought the house was on fire. They busted the door down and hosed the whole place. Suprisingly, I never got paid !!!
I sympathise with OP...I wouldn't like it (even though its no more dangerous than sniffing a steam iron or allowing traffic fumes in the house by opening a window/door). Personally I would have fitted a vertical flue foc (as an afterthought if the neighbour complained). A Vert flue sends the grey steam up into the grey sky, so the plume becomes invisible. I dont subscribe to the 'rain getting down the flue' argument....The boiler is designed to deal with water (condensate), so why not rain? In fact Vaillant (on an early course) promoted pouring a glass of water down the flue (not the air intake) as a means to clean the heat exchanger!

There are only three solutions to this problem because, as others have said, staem/PoC etc can travel for meters given adverse wind conditions and in our towns/cities, homes/flats are just cm apart: A vertical flue to roof/gutter level, move to a desert island or live and let live. Its interesting that OP didnt talk about his own flue siting? Bet his neighbours are equally p*ssed with him!

No amonimity......Alan Harris reg 185181 (but I could be lying and just picked any reg from the gas safe list.... poor ol' 185181....he may get a lot of jip for this deception!), 25yrs experience of fitting boilers etc , trying to do a decent/safe job while feeding my family, but still getting it in the neck from some barrack room lawyer or other.
Manufacturers instructions and regs be damned ! ....... in the end, I vouch safe my work, Im liable, Im insured and I have a concience.

googleman";p="2104091 said:
OMG!!!!! I had soooo much to do tonight, but was captivated by this 8 page thread/ cage fight.
Last post 2008....now 2011. Did the CORGI man ever get identified? (They do so love to big it up to justify their existance).....exactly WHAT was the bet?

In the early days I fitted my first condensing boiler, and a neighbour called 999 because she thought the house was on fire. They busted the door down and hosed the whole place. Suprisingly, I never got paid !!!

I don't beleive you. I think YOU are bigging your story up. Why would the FB hose down a house wth NO evidence of a fire. I suspect you didn't get paid 'cos you cocked something else up, or the clients found out you weren't registered, (assuming this was post 1990 ish.)

EDIT, This is your 2nd post, and both are responding to 3 year old threads!

I am sure that clue would give Inspector Maigret a conclusion.

Maigret-Citroen-Light-Fifteen-1955-244.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back