URGENT-Is the boiler flu too close.

Sponsored Links
previous reply has been edited.edited section in brackets.
you still have a case if steam (plume) blows into your open window.

Ask/request your neighbour to contact warmfront/zone to request that a plume management kit be fitted to the boiler as its causing a nusance to the neighbour (you). It will get done, pretty sharpish I expect. There wont be any additional costs to you/neighbour. Its an Ideal and PMK is readily available and can be retro fitted if a recent install.

Sponsored Links
Although it is a nuisance . And you may get them to add plume kit
And people on here are talking about it being toxic and CO .
The truth is its harmless you can see it because it is mainly water vapour.
The products of combustion are carbon dioxide and water both harmless in this case.

Is it not 600mm from a boundry line,300mm being a seperate figure for windows etc?
Or am i thinking of a differant type of flue?
Cant check my books at moment. (cos its cold outside)

Some of the information being given on here is misleading.

The flue terminal already has a plume management component, an elbow, fitted which seems to be directing the discharge away from their window and towards yours. That may have been fitted because the flue is within 300 mm of their window.

The flue should not exit closer than 300 mm to their side of the party wall. That is sometimes quoted as 600 mm but that seems to have arisen as an error as the distance to your side of the party wall.

As you have been told, the gasses are not hazardous if the boiler is working correctly and the 300 mm has been stipulated to ensure there is no danger.

Even so there can be some unusual circumstances when those gasses can enter your property and cause a nuisence but that is unlikely to arise in any normal situation.

If you had any valid complaint ( which I dont think you have! ) then you could call CORGI and they would let their inspector visit you free of charge to assess the situation.

If there was a genuine cause for concern they you could call the local Environmental Health Officer who would visit and assess the situation but they do not have specific training in relation to gas boilers.

In spite of your fears I dont think you have any real cause for concern.

Tony

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Agile you say that a “plume management component, an elbow” has already been fitted, what I want to know is can something be attached to what you see in the picture to take the fumes higher up thereby there would be no chance of it coming into my window.

Would really appreciate an answer in terms of what exactly is required so I can give the information to the neighbour who can give it to the guys who installed it. Would this extension if available come under "plume management" does the part have a specific name?

I have been doing some research and I have to disagree that the fumes are harmless, also I would rather not wait to find out if there boiler is working correctly by using my health/life as a benchmark!

It is totally unacceptable that the fitter couldn’t be bothered to use an additional ladder to increase the height. I think that is highly unprofessional.

Simple the guy has fitted it to better clearance standard than what is required what is un profesional about that.
And what research have you done that says the fumes from this boiler are dangerous ???

Equation for complete combustion of methane which a boiler like this will be doing.
CH4+2O2 = CO2 AND 2H2O

So products are carbon DIOXIDE not (monoxide) and water

So how are those 2 products dangerous

Do you hide in the other room when your kettle boils and gives off steam ??

Equation for complete combustion of methane which a boiler like this will be doing.
CH4+2O2 = CO2 AND 2H2O

So products are carbon DIOXIDE not (monoxide) and water

So how are those 2 products dangerous

Do you hide in the other room when your kettle boils and gives off steam ??

Firstly I am not Corgi but am MIMechE, and it is a long time since I studied combustion processes but. . .

Where is the N2 in the above equation? It does after all make up 80% of the air the boiler draws in, or its there an area in the UK which has a pure oxygen atmosphere? This will give some nitrous oxides in the exhaust - in the same way as your car engine does with no nitrogen in the fuel.

Only in perfect conditions (which hardly ever occur) do you get full combustion so there will be some CO. Why else are CO detectors considered necessary in houses with open flue appliances?

Ready to be shot down.

Ijsw the trace elements of Nitrogen oxides are that small they don`t include them in the standard combustion equation. As nitrogen is an inert gas it does not take part in the combustion process as such

This boiler is fan flued and takes its clean air from outside to burn in the process.
Open flued boilers take dirty air with dust fluff and everything else floating about in a house to burn and in time it blocks up the air intake filter or gathers around the injector and stops the PROPER air gas mixture thus causing INCOMPLETE combustion which gives off CO also causing the flames to give off soot which then blocks the heat exchanger which then causes the CO to enter the premises.

2 completely different appliances and 2 different combustion equations

1m3 CH4 +2M3 O2 +8M3 N2 equals 1m3 CO2+2M3 H2O +8m3 N3

Is another example of the calc and as you see the nitrogen is only thing that does not change during the combustion process

good photo.
looks like an ideal boiler,i have checked the manufactures instructions for the most recent boilers.ie isar.icos and esprit.

in the flueing section ideal state.
IMPORTANT it is absolutely essentail to ensure in practice that products of combustion discharging from the terminal cannot re enter the building or any other adjacent buildings through ventilators,windows,doors or other sources of natural air filtration or forced ventilation/air conditioning.
if this occurs the appliance MUST be turned OFF and labelled as 'unsafe' until corrective actions can be made.

James I was just looking at the ideal webiste are you able to tell from my photos exactly what type of boiler it is, also on checking other makes their websites provide considerable detail about fitting a plume management kit, can't seem to see it on the ideal website. It would help to get the exact part name. Would it have to be made by ideal or can you use other makes?

Is there a particular model that warm front use.

Has anyone addressed the question of "can it have something attached to extend the fumes to come out higher" ?

I.E. can a right angle & an extension be added so that the fumes are released a lot higher up, say by about 3-5 foot?

I have a very similar situation to this.

Not convinced, I don't believe anything burns that perfectly. You cannot maintain stoichiometric combustion with varying air temperature, pressure and composition which you have in reality.

Wherever you have combustion with N2 present you get some nitrous oxides. One component of "acid rain" and cars are not the only cause.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back