URGENT-Is the boiler flu too close.

Has anyone addressed the question of "can it have something attached to extend the fumes to come out higher" ?

I.E. can a right angle & an extension be added so that the fumes are released a lot higher up, say by about 3-5 foot?

I have a very similar situation to this.

I know this is the wrong make as James has said it is probably
"Ideal boiler" but this is the type of thing (see photo link) I am looking for as I think it will solve the problem.

Anything similar available for Ideal boilers?

http://www.boilers2go.co.uk/product.php?productid=35873&cat=3065

Sponsored Links
Not convinced, I don't believe anything burns that perfectly. You cannot maintain stoichiometric combustion with varying air temperature, pressure and composition which you have in reality.

Boilers run with excess oxygen compared with that required for stoichiometric combustion which is why the CO produced is virtually nil.

Dont you think that as ambient temperatures vary both the fuel and the air would both expand equally?

In any case the slight excess of O² would take care of that.

Tony

Has anyone addressed the question of "can it have something attached to extend the fumes to come out higher" ?

I.E. can a right angle & an extension be added so that the fumes are released a lot higher up, say by about 3-5 foot?

I have a very similar situation to this.

Both you and the OP are choosing to miss the point.

Of course a plumb diverter kit could be used to extend the discharge to somewhere else.

But the installer has fitted this flue with greatly exceeded minimum clearances and there is no need or obligation to spend more just to please the neighbour.

If anyone offered to pay a professional to extend the flue ( about £200 ) then its unlightly that a reasonable neighbour would object.

However a small improvement might be obtained by just rotating the elbow so that it discharges upwards rather than towards the neighbours side.

I do conceed that its wrong to have that elbow pointing partly towards the neighbour. The point is that it can just discharge straight towards the back garden and that would be totally satisfactory or as I suggest keep it but rotate to point upwards.

Tony

Booger the obligations! It may be to minimum clearances etc.
No matter if the output is nasty stuff or just steam its still not nice to have the output of a neighbours boiler fed so that it blows directly into an open window is it?

So Agile I think that you are missing the point. :D ;)

Sponsored Links
Booger the obligations! It may be to minimum clearances etc.
No matter if the output is nasty stuff or just steam its still not nice to have the output of a neighbours boiler fed so that it blows directly into an open window is it?

So Agile I think that you are missing the point. :D ;)

couldn't agree more

It is an Ideal Isar (if combi ) fitted. It has the angled plume kit on it but they also do a snorkel kit that can extend it up to roof and above roof level.
It doesn't contravene any regs as such but at the start of out instalation instructions it does state that special care should be used in the siting of terminals due to nuisance discharge(not dangerous as previously said on here) of condense gases.
You could go up a ladder (or reach out window and alter angle of the plume management kit back towards your neighbour, preferably in the dark! ;) ;)

the authors concern is the fact that steam (plume)enters their property through an openable window.
i am also concerned that an excessive amount of condense has been directed on to the exterior of their property,this could lead to deteriation of wall surface,window and rubber window seals as the condense is mildly acidity.
firstly i thought the author was a nimby..not in my back yard (sorry not a pun there) but i thought, would i be happy with a member of my family sleeping in that room when plume can enter the room.answer no.
the installer has not done enough work to ensure no nuisance will occur.
ideal make kits that would terminate the inner flue higher.part numbers 203146 & 203228 as described in their v3 flue guide.this will terminate the inner flue up to 1m away from the existing outlet.
if the author was to fit a carbon monoxide dector on the inside of their window and if it was activated would everyone say it was ok,i think not.
again i am not going down the legal side of things.

There is no CO given off unless incorrect combustion on the unit though. I personally would have said something and asked to get it resited orto get a snorkel kit fitted.
Tbh though for the installer to fit a pluming direction kit and direct from the house he fitted it in to the neighbour is a bit garbage.
Probably leaving the flue to terminate normally would give less pluming.
But snorkel kit would be preferable
fk7byd.jpg

Why would a CO detector activate if CO is not a product of combustion.
Products are no more acidic than rain for every 1000 grams of gas burnt there is 1 gram of N02 which after dilution in open air would be very difficult to even measure

Whats the plastic pipe sticking out the wall above the flue.

Whats the plastic pipe sticking out the wall above the flue.
Just noticed that it is the condense drain although they have elbowed it to just miss it. Terminates next to it though should be 35 mm lagged and taken down to ground level and into soakaway!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back