Urgent Question about Lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I am currently gutting out my kitchen for a full refit. I have come across a potentially serious problem with regards to the lintel above my kitchen window.

While removing plasterboard, the bricks that were supporting the right hand side of the lintel came out with it. I did not realise that these were supporting the lintel at the time until I removed the plasterboard above the window which was covering the lintel soon after.

The reason why the bricks came out easily is because the original boiler which was installed many years ago (guessing at least 25years) was in that space, the only original bricks which was left were a thin sliver of breeze block no more than 1.5" wide, and the red brick on top. I don't know why they left such a big cavity but they did. The cavity was then filled in with new breeze blocks when I had a new boiler installed in the airing cupboard around 4 years ago. At the time of the latest boiler installation we had no idea of the precarious lintel situation, as it was covered up by plasterboard.

Once I realised what had happened I quickly set up a car jack and breeze block to support the lintel, the lintel hadn't dropped at all and to be fair seems fairly solid, but it is currently doing nothing to support the bricks above so needs to be fixed ASAP.

Is it simply a case of keeping it supported and replacing the bricks and mortar, and then once set it is safe to take the support out? I would rather not have to pay a small fortune for some structural engineer to come out, only to tell me that a builder needs to do what I could have done myself. It has already lasted this long with barely any support, so I'm confident it would be ok once bricked up. But I thought I would ask on here just incase there is something that I don't know about.

I have included a photo of its current state with the car jack in place lol, please ignore the bad wiring, that is what was left by the original boiler installation as well, and is part of the reason why I was removing all of the plasterboard in order to re-wire it properly, it seems that the original boiler engineer was a right cowboy.

I have also included a couple of drawings, just to give you a better idea of the layout of the lintel and bricks. The first one is how the bricks would have looked when the house was originally built, and the second one with the grey square shows the cavity left behind, which was filled in 4 years ago.

lintel.jpg

lintel 1.png

lintel 2.png

Sponsored Links
Is it simply a case of keeping it supported and replacing the bricks and mortar, and then once set it is safe to take the support out?

I would say so yes. I'm guessing it's not a mega span and just spans a standard doorway? You don't need structural calcs on a standard concrete lintel.

I'd prop the lintel with an acrow prop and then rebuild the block work underneath, pack it as tight as you can to the lintel using some slate. Let the blockwork set for a day or so and remove the prop.

The span is a 1.2m window, so not huge. Hopefully this shouldn't be too bad then. I like the idea of using the slate to pack it tight, thanks for the tip.

Sponsored Links
Just quickly bed new bricks in hole rebuilding the wall. And support the lintel. Your window is currently holding the lintel up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back