URGENT WARNING

B

Big_Spark

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en

I run a couple opf proprietory anti Adware programs, and have always thought they were great, however about 20 minutes ago I downloaded the Microsoft free anti Adware program at the end of the link above..

It found over 300..yes THREE HUNDRED instances of adware on my three computers, yet the propriety ones had been run over night and found NOTHING!!!

This little program from MS certainly would appear to be doing exactly what they promise, it checks registry keys and EVERYTHING.

The really worrying thing is that parts of two of the Adware programs actually flagged as Adware themselves!!

Even programs, trialware, that I had deleted had left spyware junk in the registry..all gone now too..

I would suggest that all here do something similar..especially if you are on broadband.

Corrected Link..sorry Guys, Simply select item 1 from the list presented.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Whilst I understand the move to here....looking at the traffic on this forum, is it the best way to get this message across?

FWL_Engineer said:
is it the best way to get this message across?

You have to remember this is a diy forum, not a PC repair forum. We appreciate what you are saying, but as you may have noticed some people can not wire a plug, (no offence intended to anyone) so what chance have they of checking for virus / adware.

Those that are interested will look in software when a new post is flagged up.

I've used Spybot for a fair while to remove any crud on my machine. When I recently tried the MS (licenced) version, it only found a couple of things, interested to know what were you using before.

However, I do use it on a real time basis these days. Seems OK, but the install process needs work, although as it's a beta I am prepared to overlook it :D

moderator said:
......... as you may have noticed some people can not wire a plug, (no offence intended to anyone) ........

Thank goodness for the comment in brackets, I was beginning to feel quite hurt :cry:

moderator said:
You have to remember this is a diy forum, not a PC repair forum. We appreciate what you are saying, but as you may have noticed some people can not wire a plug, (no offence intended to anyone) so what chance have they of checking for virus / adware.

Those that are interested will look in software when a new post is flagged up.

I know quite a few people who can work wonders on a PC, And a couple of them cannot fit a plug, ;)

good job they come with the plug already attached or theyd be snookered then! :D

Point is....Just because someone can't fit a plug, does not mean they can't do higher technical tasks, I also know a doctor who admitted that he could not fry an egg :rolleyes:

FWL, you'll find that there is no single spyware application that will get them all. We tested several products and each found some that others missed. You also have to be careful and not allow them to automatically remove stuff without reviewing the list. Sometimes applications you really want to keep get destroyed. (Crap cleaner comes to mind here)

The MS offering actually got a bad write up in the press, however, as you are probably aware, a lot of people slate MS. (However, MS didn't develop this product, they purchased the engine from a 3rd party)

It seems fairly normal practice for some applications to flag others as spyware, probably an attempt at killing the competition.

You'll probably also have noticed that the MS offering says it will expire in July. This could mean that they will have a release version, but I suspect that they will introduce a subscription.

Sponsored Links
Back