us power tools to uk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how does one go about transforming us 120v tools to uk 230v given that they both have different connectors?

Sponsored Links
US supplies are 115v 60Hz, UK is 230v 50Hz. To use a US appliance in the UK you could use a standard 230v - 115v transformer (as used on all building sites) BUT you will have problems with any item with a motor as these do not like differences in frequency and 10Hz is quite a difference to a rotating machine.

buy a site isolation transformer (big yellow thing) and change the plug on the tool to fit it

but it may run slightly hotter and be a bit less powerfull

plugwash said:
buy a site isolation transformer (big yellow thing) and change the plug on the tool to fit it

but it may run slightly hotter and be a bit less powerfull

that is what IanDB said

--tom, unless it is already here in the UK, leave the tool in the US, lots of hassle, IMPORT DUTY, VAT, gTee void.

Sponsored Links
A second opinion doesn't hurt!

I agree with Breezer about the guarantee etc. Remember that we have one year statutory warranties over here: in the US 30 days is a more common figure. So, by the time you get your new tool here and replugged then you only have a fortnight to play with it before the warranty is void!

Import duty stings. I ordered a bunch of stuff from the US, beerglasses and a clock, and I ended up having to pay enough import duty to make me wonder why I did it. Only saving grace is when you remember that the price you paid for the goods themselves didn't include VAT or equivalent.

AdamW said:
Import duty stings. I ordered a bunch of stuff from the US, beerglasses and a clock, and I ended up having to pay enough import duty to make me wonder why I did it. Only saving grace is when you remember that the price you paid for the goods themselves didn't include VAT or equivalent.

:) thanks AdamW, I some times think people do not beleive me / do not think of import duty, what you have said shows what i say to be true (i am also not saying any one specific doesn't believe me), its just no one thinks about import duty till its too late

They also charge import duty on the packaging too

Back