USB charging points

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I would like to fit a 13 amp 2 gang socket containing 2 USB charging sockets but am a little confused as to which type to get. Some have 2.1 amp some 3.1 amp. We have 2 smart phones & 1 tablet do we have to match the amps of the device to the socket or can any device with a USB cable be charged using the built in USB sockets.

Any help would be very welcome.

Thank you,

Brian.

Sponsored Links
I would get the higher, most smart devices these days iPhones iPads etc will use what it needs without any chance of damage.

For instance iPad charger has a higher output than a iPhone charger but you can use the same charger for the iPhone, the iPhone will take what it needs. 2.1A is lower than a iPad charger so if you charged an iPad with this it would be slower than using the conventional plug charger.

i have sockets with a 2.1ah and 1.2ah. both charge iphone 7, 6, 5s ipad galaxy etc. They were only about 6 quid or so. Usb will be obsolete eventually so i wouldn't bother about future proofing.

Sponsored Links
Just thought of something, can the leads from different devices be used with any other device providing the smaller plug fits?

Thanks again,
Brian.

Yea - within reason, a USB cable is a USB cable (yes I'm aware not all cables are made equally and some are carp)

I would like to fit a 13 amp 2 gang socket containing 2 USB charging sockets but am a little confused as to which type to get.
Be careful to make sure you understand what the specification is saying. In the case of devices (e.g. sockets) with 2 USB charging sockets, when thaey say "2.1A" or "3.1A" they may (or may not) be talking about the total available from both sockets, rather than meaning that you can simultaneously charge two things and get 2.1A or 3.1A out of each socket.

Kind Regards, John

Just to say - not Ah, just A, amps.

What will take their place?
USB-C-UK-Power-Socket.jpg

sorry you're ur right.

USB C

The site does not censor the word 'crap'. :)
I was not aware of that! I shall be more forthcoming with my use of the word in the future.

Hager have finally started making a USB Socket Outlet, about 2 years after everybody else. But like MK, it requires a 35mm backbox. I would like to think this means they (and MK) are using higher quality gear than the ones that fit in a 25mm box but I have no evidence either way.

Everybody is moving to Type-A sockets and the market is moving towards USB-C for everything - I'm gonna hold off on doing too many sockets for the time being!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back