USB Wall Sockets - Can I Do it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

Awesome website/forum, I've already learnt a lot - thank you.

I've just bought my first house and ready for some decorating etc.
I'd like to replace some twin socket faceplates with twins that have USB ports on. I'm happy to give this a crack but from what I've been reading there is a line between what I can do and what I need someone else to do or sign off on. Otherwise insurance etc can be nullified.

So the question is, is replacing a front plate something for me or something that needs to be certified?

While we're at it, the question for adding in fixed spot lights off the mains with new switches. (That I'm assuming needs to be certified and I have an electrician coming around to quote tomorrow).

I'll pay if I have to, but I really enjoy learning and doing things myself so the more I can legally do the better.

TIA!

Sponsored Links
I'd like to replace some twin socket faceplates with twins that have USB ports on.
You can change the faceplate if you are competant to do so.

If you value the items that the USB ports are going to be charging then avoid buying cheap items from dubious on-line sources. Some of these are so badly designed and built that the risk of them going wrong and damaging the equipment being charged is not insignificant.

You can do both.

Lighting is more complicated, so you need to plan & understand what you are doing first.

Oh really? That's good to know. I thought the lighting at least, I'd have to have certified. My Plan B was to install the lights and run the cables and then call out an electrician to make the final connections and sign it off. I'll see what he says tomorrow because I've been pricing up lighting units and they are considerably cheaper than I was expected (B&Q)

Is there a guide/list to what I can't do myself, the last thing I want is to invalidate the insurance.

Sponsored Links
My Plan B was to install the lights and run the cables and then call out an electrician to make the final connections and sign it off.
Probably wouldn't have worked anyway, at least not the "signing off" part.

But if you're installing new cables and switches, that should be tested before putting into service.

I've been pricing up lighting units and they are considerably cheaper than I was expected (B&Q)
B&Q Ξ probably nastier than you were expecting too....

Is there a guide/list to what I can't do myself, the last thing I want is to invalidate the insurance.
Bear in mind that the info from EFLI is what you may not do without notifying, not what you may not do at all, and that it's the law (Building Regulations) which imposes those rules. Your insurer may have a different position, so you should check.

If you value the items that the USB ports are going to be charging then avoid buying cheap items from dubious on-line sources. Some of these are so badly designed and built that the risk of them going wrong and damaging the equipment being charged is not insignificant.

Do you have proof of this, or know of any equipment damaged? Or is it just personal prejudice?

Thanks for all the input :)

B&Q Ξ probably nastier than you were expecting too....

I was having a look just to get a rough idea of what is involved, I see they do those Diall brand of lights, 3 lighs, mounts and drivers in a box for £15. I was expecting £60-80 per light.

That's their own brand. There may be a good reason why they are so cheap.

What sort of lights are you after? IME B&Q offer you a choice between the garish/hideous/tasteless and the useless recessed torches.

Also, be aware that a new double socket faceplate with usb might require a deeper back box. I recently fitted one in the kitchen and had to replace the 25mm box with a 47mm one.

Mine is an MK one. I used a 47mm. 35mm may be OK, but it wasn't a big deal to fit the deeper one in thermalite

That's great, then. One socket serving 2 rooms, cuts the cost down, no?;)

Do you have proof of this, or know of any equipment damaged? Or is it just personal prejudice?
In technical circles it's pretty well established that some of the cheap USB power sources are of extremely dubious quality, to put it mildly. Some are downright dangerous.

I really don't see the point of having USB chargers integral with wall sockets anyway. Why not just plug a USB charger into a regular outlet? That way is far more flexible, unless you're going to fit the integrated units at every outlet around the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back