Use a 10amp switch to control immersion heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I run a UK charity for disabled kids in Asia. The power supply is 240v, but electrical safety here is a nightmare.

I want to turn on and off a 6kw immersion heater using a 10amp switch. Specifically a 10amp key switch to stop people turning it on and off by accident. Is there a way to use a 10amp rated switch to trigger a higher rated switch?

Sponsored Links
Yes you can do it using a contactor but it would be expensive.

Immersion heaters are a particularly arduous load because they run at maximum rated power for long periods.

Thanks @JohnD I am guessing a 32amp contactor would be sufficient? Is it as simple as just connecting the 10amp switch into the contactor as an on off switch for the contactor or is there more to the system? And what should I look for when buying a contactor - you say it is a heavy load because of the consistent draw of power - how do I know which would be rated for something like this? The cost (within reason) is less important as the safety improvement that this would offer.

32A would be adequate.

In UK, electric showers are the biggest common domestic load, and the switches and their connections are more prone to failure than other switches, especially if the user is in the habit of switching them while the shower is running at full power.

Contactors are more an industrial than a domestic accessory, and the major brands are made to good standards, though I am no longer involved in such things. Generally, avoid Chinese imports and brands of unknown provenance.

The copper cables distort under pressure, so it is helpful to retighten the terminals after a few weeks. If they are allowed to become loose, they overheat, which creates a vicious cycle of softening, loosening, overheating, and ultimately burning out. It is not very common, but happens often enough to be recognised.

Sponsored Links
P.s.

I just had a look, and they seem to be offered in 25A, 40A and 63A ratings.

25A would be the minimum you need, but I would suggest 40A. They seem to be bigger.

How about using one of these with a padlock?:

25A

32A

40A

SFK

Yes, that would be simpler.

Though a contactor would also be compatible with a timer or other controls

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back