Use of exsiting steel gas main supply.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old 1902 house and want to install CH upstairs.
The gas meter is in the hall and im happy with it there but the steel pipe rises up in to the loft and across to come down in the bathroom....probably to feed an old gas geyser that was there once or when the house was split in two,.
As the pipe is from the unmetered side of the meter.Do i need to get the gas board to take this out or to cap it off so i can remove it from the bath room?
There is no turn of tap in the house to this supply pipe so as far as I know its a live gas supply.The only turn off is to the meter.
i will of course use qualified people to do the task if its not a gas board job

Also my fitter wants to install the new boiler on an external wall in the bedroom but i want to put it in the bathroom..again on an external wall..is this no longer allowed in current regs?
Thanks for your time

Sponsored Links
A few simplified answers!

If the pipe is live then the gas transporter should disconnect it by the meter then anyone can remove it.

Some RGIs who had previously worked on supply networks might do it regardless.

A boiler is better NOT in a bedroom because of the noise!

A boiler in the bathroom must be in a locked cupboard if less than 2m from any basin or bath! Also the humid atmosphere may shorten the boiler life or give rise to occasional faults.

Tony

A boiler in the bathroom must be in a locked cupboard if less than 2m from any basin or bath!

Is that right? I didn't know that!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back