Use of Powerline units instead of proper wifi or cables.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There have been calls from many to ban these devices, however it seems at last there is a move in right direction This Report by telegraph says
telegraph said:
Thousands of homeowners could face prosecution if their broadband persistently interferes with radio signals, under Ofcom proposals published after lobbying by intelligence agency GCHQ.

The Government agency has become increasingly concerned in recent years about "power line" networking equipment. This allows people to use the mains wiring in their homes to transmit data, as an alternative to a Wi-Fi network, and has been distributed to BT and TalkTalk customers to connect their television set-top boxes to broadband.

How they will work out who has the devices, and what happens when people try to return these devices costing between £20 and £100 back to where bought is an interesting question, in the UK we are free to buy boilers were not permitted to fit, and two way radios were not permitted to use, so I will guess you can't return the devices?

Sponsored Links
The article was published under this by-line

By Christopher Williams, Technology, Media and Telecoms Editor 5:00AM GMT 06 Jan 2015

That said the problem of interference radiated from PowerLine and similar equipment has yet to be fully resolved. It is an ongoing process.

How they will work out who has the devices

Hand held detectors exist for this purpose and they are very good at identifying the source of the interference.

Goods sold have to be fit for purpose. If they cause interference they are not fit for purpose so can be returned under your statuary rights.

Sponsored Links
Goods sold have to be fit for purpose. If they cause interference

the manufacturer's escape clause is that the units themselves do not radiate a significant amount of radiation, it is the mains wiring which radiates the interference.

the manufacturer's escape clause is that the units themselves do not radiate a significant amount of radiation, it is the mains wiring which radiates the interference.

Maybe so. A good lawyer should be able to sort that out. When they are used as intended interference is caused.
What I want to know is why haven't they been banned?

Waste of time thinking that broadband will be curtailed just because it causes a little interference.

Why haven't they been banned Winston? Probably because no one in power gives a toss and those that do, do not have any power.

Waste of time thinking that broadband will be curtailed just because it causes a little interference.

No one wants to ban broadband. It's the PLT method of distribution that needs to be banned.

Why haven't they been banned Winston? Probably because no one in power gives a toss and those that do, do not have any power.

So how have I rattled your cage then?

By the time this is all resolved, all TV and radio will probably be Internet only anyway.

Free entertainment will be gone forever.

By the time this is all resolved, all TV and radio will probably be internet only anyway.

Free entertainment will be gone forever.

You can't get internet in a moving car, except by using......wait for it.....radio.

So how have I rattled your cage then?

You have not, I didn't say you had.
I was replying to you, saying that they have not been banned because no one that can do so really gives a t.oss, in fact they probably have them all over their mansions. :)

You have not, I didn't say you had.
I was replying to you, saying that they have not been banned because no one that can do so really gives a toss, in fact they probably have them all over their mansions. :)

Government corruption then?

But marine and aviation communications will still be by radio and prone to interference from spurious radio frequency sources.

I don't really know much about how these powerline things work, but I'd be surprised if a bit of interferance on domestic cables is going to upset the international shipping lanes or trans-atlantic flights. That seems a bit far fetched.

Just dome some Googling ... seems people re talking about powerlines, as in, electric supplies, when talking about radio etc? Surely that is the issue regarding radio frequencies affecting police radio etc? Not Powerline adaptors?
http://www.arrl.org/power-line-noise

Struggling to find any cases of people being put out by a neighbours internet, but maybe I am searching for the wrong thing?

Can we have some real life examples, rather than just theoretical problems?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back