Used oil-based paint on an internal wall instead of emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, a DIY novice here - as you will soon realize

Due to circumstances that do not reflect well on me (inexperience, incompetence, general lack of concentration) I have painted the section of our bedroom above the picture rail not with simple emulsion but with oil-based satin internal and external wood and metal paint.

Yes. Yes, I know.

It was this one, to be precise: http://www.diy.com/departments/colo...-exterior-white-satin-paint-25l/578200_BQ.prd

I've applied it to lining paper over plaster, it's an internal wall (brick) of a 1939 house.

I went back to B&Q and the helpful assistant recommended that because the paint wasn't breathable, I should strip the lining paper off and re-paper before painting with emulsion. She told me the paint I'd put on would quickly discolour, and might cause damp (by retaining moisture, I presume).

Of course I was hoping that I could simply paint a coat of matt emulsion over the top.

To be honest, it doesn't look *that* bad right now with the wrong paint on, and I don't really want to do major work like re-papering to resolve the problem.

So, bearing all this in mind, my questions are:

Will the wood/metal paint cause problems? Will it discolour? Will the wallpaper start to peel? Will it result in damp that damages the plaster or brickwork?

Can I simply paint over with matt emulsion? Even if I have to use some kind of primer?

Oh yeah, almost forgot - is the oil-based paint likely to be hazardous to our health? It's 'only' on a relatively small area, i.e. the top 16" or so of the wall in a small-to-medium-size room.

Many thanks in advance for anyone who can help. I promise to read the label more closely in future.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Don't panic ! you haven't done anything that bad. The paint wont cause any problems to the paper or wall. Give it a coat of thinned oil based undercoat or spray it with stain block. When its dry paint with your chosen emulsion. You shouldn't have any problems with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back