Using 10m of washing machine hose to plumb fridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I hope somebody can help. I've recently moved my fridge (with icemaker) to the other side of the kitchen. There is no water supply there so I bought 10m of washing machine hose and two connectors for either end (*).

Now when I switch on the supply both connectors drip. I've checked the rubber washers are placed correctly inside and retightened and checked for cross threading. Everything looks fine but still continues to leak once the water is turned on.

Would using 10m of this hose cause a problem for the connectors? Pressure?

They do look a bit cheap compared to those you usually find supplied with a w/c. Did B&Q just sell me duffers?

(*) I also actually have a brass male/male connector at the fridge end to enable the built in fridge pipe to connect. I don't think this is causing the problem though.

erm. HELP. Switching off the mains and running pipes all over the kitchen is looking like the easier option now.

Jel

Sponsored Links
you are using something for which it was not designed, do the job properly, learn by this mistake that cheap is really expensive, since you will now have to do do the same job twice.

I connected a new sink yesterday using flexi cables. And funnily enough it started leaking like yours as well! :LOL:

Anyways what you have to do is put some P.T.F.E tape on it (white tape that plumber use) Put it around each connection and then tighten.

I turned the tap on and no more leaks. Dont know if you can use it in a similar way. You should be able to though hopefully.

Got this info from a site about the tape:

"It can be wound around threads of any metal, plastic, or rubber pipes to provide leak free joints that will never freeze or harden with age."

Sponsored Links
Yup, luckily I also got hold of a plumber friend and he also said that the length of the pipe had no bearing on the leaks. Said to get some grips and give it a good tightening as he often gets leaks with those sort of connectors too. I also ordered some new connectors from an online plumbing shop and must say they are of a much better quality than the B&Q one and cheaper too. :)

Ta for posting though, with both your advice I feel a bit more confident about giving it another try and can worry about one less thing before my kitchen installer comes on Saturday.

Just got to do the opposite of you and remove the sink tomorrow so was going to get some PTFE tape anyway to bung up the pipes there with stop caps until the weekend. Will chuck some on the washing machine connectors too.

Thanks again for the contructive comments.

Jel

please note forum rule 17, the post you replied to was made in 2004

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back