Using a Megaflo system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just moved into a flat which has electric heaters. My water heats through a Megaflo system (model DD170). I am having difficulty working out the correct settings - I ran half a bath full of water the other morning and the hot water had gone cold already!! There was no one living in the flat before me so I cannot copy their settings.

I have tried to look for a user's manual on the internet, but haven't had much joy. Can anyone provide some advice? There is an options for a timed boost setting, but not sure what this should be?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
You will have 2 cables coming out of the megaflo.

These each connect to an immersion heater.

The bottom one is the E7 overnight cheap rate heater that will give you a full tank of water each morning.

The top one is the boost heater that just tops up the top bit of the cylinder, eg to wash up etc.

Usually the bottom one comes on automatically when the E7 cuts in at your meter. There will be a switch in your cupboard for this, make sure it is on.

Just read this post and think it might help me!! I've also got a DD170 where get enough hot water for 2 showers max and the boost setting never seems to work!

I've just checked the wiring and found that the bottom cable goes to the boost setting of the Horstmann Economy 7 Quartz and the top cable goes to the Off Peak setting. Would I be correct in assuming that this has been wired up wrong? I'm hoping I can finally have a nice hot bath!!!!!

If your findings are accurate, then yes, they have been wired up back to front :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Well took the plunge and changed the wires.... put on boost for an hour and had enough hot water for shower and 2 lots of washing up! Can't believe it was wired up wrong :eek:

Next question.. how long would you think it takes to heat up the tank - don't want to have it set for longer than it should be.

Many Thanks for all your help!!

it doesn't really matter how long it is 'on' in the E7 period.

The internal thermostat of the lower heater will automatically turn it off when the water has reached temperature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back