Using American 16 AWG wire for UK lighting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am re-wiring a wall light of which the upper lighting is protected by a 6 amp circuit breaker.
The lamp will be using 2 x 250v 25w bulbs in parallel.

Q. To connect the light wiring to the t&e in the wall, can I use American 16 AWG stranded wire?

US 16 AWG - 0.0508"
US 16 AWG - 1.291mm

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Assuming it is copper stranded then I personally cant see why not then, most lighting wiring looms in retail lighting use a stranded trirated cable which is sold in Awg sizes equivalent to aprox 1.5mm yet its current and temperature ratings way exceeds normal 1.5mm singles.

However without seeing your walllight it does sound a bit physically large for a walllight

What makes you say its american cable Apart from the Gasoline referance

Sponsored Links
Assuming it is copper stranded then I personally cant see why not then, most lighting wiring looms in retail lighting use a stranded trirated cable which is sold in Awg sizes equivalent to aprox 1.5mm yet its current and temperature ratings way exceeds normal 1.5mm singles.

However without seeing your walllight it does sound a bit physically large for a walllight

Basically, it was an American wall light, so while I was in the US I bought US threaded 250v bulbs, lamp holders, and while I was there I bought the wire as well.

My thought is that as the lights are only on a 6 amp circuit breaker, I can afford to use American 16 AWG which is 0.0508" which is a 0.002" bigger than UK 18 SWG.

Why wouldn't you just buy UK cable? It's not exactly going to break the bank to do the job properly and in accordance with UK regulations.

Why wouldn't you just buy UK cable? It's not exactly going to break the bank to do the job properly and in accordance with UK regulations.

Fair comment, I have the cable and don't like wasteage.

What size cable does UK regs state to use for lighting on a 6 amp breaker?

It depends on the installation method.

I've run 1.5mm t&e out to a hole in the wall, I'm replacing the existing wiring in the wall light so it can take UK voltage (it was US perviously), and this will connect to the t&e.

Properly terminate electrically.

I'm assuming the fitting is of metal construction and not double insulated?

US wiring does not comply with our regulations here!

for one thing, US wiring is White and Black? with no earth wire?

they dont use earth wires on their appliances, apart from the exception of some appliances like air conditioning units.

our regulations require twin and earth in brown and blue.

so I cant help but feel what you are about to do is not only a contravention of the regulations but highly dangerous and an accident waiting to happen... having different coloured wiring systems might make sense to you because you installed it.

But in america, black is used to denote the live wire.. but here under the old regulations it was used to denote neutral.

which is potentially very dangerous if somebody touched that wiring in future... crossing neutral and live wire for instant? by mistaking them due to same colours.. while not so much a problem for electricians it could be a big problem for an unsuspecting DIYer which could result in serious injury, death or the destruction of property.

That is why here, when the colours changed the regulations required a label like this,

59819_signs.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back