Converting US wall light to UK + adding extra bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm after some advice.

I am converting a US wall light to UK wiring, but as I can't get the correct type of bulb in the UK, I would like to try to add two.

Back of the light in it's current state below:

Diagram below is the current wiring (wire colours not necessarily representative):

As I can't seem to get 5"-6" tubular type bulbs, I am going to try and use 4 x smaller candle bulbs instead, probably 25w.

Can someone suggest the best way to wire this so as each pair of of top and bottom bulbs work as they do singularly - the switch is three/four way - twist once and only the top one comes on, twice and only the bottom comes on, three times and they both come on, four times and they both go off.

Also, becuase of the limited space between the light and the wall, what is the small wire gauge I can use (it will be connected to 1.5mm T&E), and what is the best way to connect this to the T&E - terminal block?

Appreciate any advice.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
As I can't seem to get 5"-6" tubular type bulbs, I am going to try and use 4 x smaller candle bulbs instead, probably 25w.
Clearly you'll have to remove the existing holders and replace them, and only you have the light in front of you and can see how you'd be able to do that, and add 2 new ones if you want 4.

Given the space constraints you need to find suitable lamps and holders first. Maybe LED strips? Or the tube lights suggested by secure? Or slim fluorescents which take T4 tubes?

Can someone suggest the best way to wire this so as each pair of of top and bottom bulbs work as they do singularly
But this worries me greatly.

If you can't see that to do that all you would need to do would be to connect the new top lampholder in parallel with the existing top one, and ditto the bottom ones, then I fear you have nowhere near the basic, fundamental, almost instinctive understanding of how to wire things up which you are going to need.

Particularly as...
- the switch is three/four way - twist once and only the top one comes on, twice and only the bottom comes on, three times and they both come on, four times and they both go off.
... you are going to have to find a replacement switch - no way can you assume that the existing one will be safe at twice the voltage it was made for.

Which means you are going to have to work out how you would wire a multi-pole multi-way rotary switch to do what you want, and then find the right one.

Or you could just wire each light independently back to a normal 2-gang wall switch.

The switch is in the black line, red is usually hot and white neutral, I believe.

All the wiring is a dis-coloured browny yellow.
What's there right now is all academic, really.

Everything currently there has to be removed - the wiring, the lampholders and the switch. You have to take it back to just an assembly of metal and glass, and starting from first principles find a way to put lights in it and have them switched how you want.

And from what I can see in the photos you should find a way to earth the metal.

Appreciate any advice.
Maybe take it to a proper lighting shop - one that does repairs etc, and see what they can do with it?

Clearly you'll have to remove the existing holders and replace them, and only you have the light in front of you and can see how you'd be able to do that, and add 2 new ones if you want 4.

This was my plan, yes.

Given the space constraints you need to find suitable lamps and holders first. Maybe LED strips? Or the tube lights suggested by secure? Or slim fluorescents which take T4 tubes?

Slim fluorescents - not my preferred choice, but a possibility.

If you can't see that to do that all you would need to do would be to connect the new top lampholder in parallel with the existing top one, and ditto the bottom ones, then I fear you have nowhere near the basic, fundamental, almost instinctive understanding of how to wire things up which you are going to need.

I figured they would need to be wired in parallel, but like to get confirmation before I do anything.

... you are going to have to find a replacement switch - no way can you assume that the existing one will be safe at twice the voltage it was made for.

This was indeed an oversight.

Which means you are going to have to work out how you would wire a multi-pole multi-way rotary switch to do what you want, and then find the right one.

Or you could just wire each light independently back to a normal 2-gang wall switch.

Can only run it back to a 1-gang, so if I lose the rotary switch I won't be able to light them both independately.

Everything currently there has to be removed - the wiring, the lampholders and the switch. You have to take it back to just an assembly of metal and glass, and starting from first principles find a way to put lights in it and have them switched how you want.

And from what I can see in the photos you should find a way to earth the metal.

Earthing will be simple enough.

Why only a one gang?

If you have a 1G box, you can fit a 2G switch.

You just need extra wiring installing.

OK, had a re-think.

The whole idea was to retain as many original features as possible, including the rotary switch.
As this is now not going to be possible, I will remove (and keep), the rotary switch and run 2 x striplights from one switch.

Width of light - 310mm

I have found a striplight which is 221mm length x 26mm dia.

There is not much room left around the diameter, but there is 45mm maximum either side.

Are connectors available to mount this light within this space?

Can you post a link to that fitting?

I still can't see why you cannot put a multi-gang switch on that 1G box?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clipsal-4...ls_Supplies_Electrical_ET&hash=item3cb6c8ec4a

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clipsal-5...ies_Electrical_ET&hash=item3cb87060c1[/QUOTE]

I've put in an extra cable and had the walls skimmed last week, so now have two cables for a 2 gang socket - one for the wall light, one for the ceiling.

The initial reason behind wanting to stick with the rotary switch was to utilise the exitsing one. If i can no longer do that i may as well wire direct to the light switch.

Do you know if i can get a fluorescent fitting for to fit with the available space?

thanks.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back