Using American 16 AWG wire for UK lighting?

I also thought it meant the circuit was to be rewired as OP mentions ceiling light protected by 6A mcb.

Why, then, is he asking about rewiring an American light with American wire?

Sponsored Links
I also thought it meant the circuit was to be rewired as OP mentions ceiling light protected by 6A mcb. Why, then, is he asking about rewiring an American light with American wire?
Yes, I agree there is an uncertainty - the OP asked "To connect the light wiring to the t&e in the wall, can I ...." - which is still a bit unclear. I was merely pointing out that there is some uncertainty as to what we're talking about - which means that some of the advice could be inappropriate.

Kind Regards, John

Don't use round flex, it's just not generally used on fixed wiring.

Having said that, the regulations permit it.

Also, as far as I'm aware US cable has a ground conductor.

And some states have an equivalent of the MOT.

Sponsored Links
Don't use round flex, it's just not generally used on fixed wiring.

Having said that, the regulations permit it.

Also, as far as I'm aware US cable has a ground conductor.

And some states have an equivalent of the MOT.

not all us cable has a ground conductor.. but could be wrong, I dont live there.

but if they have a ground conductor why do they insist on still using 2 pin plugs everywhere in the house, and only 3 pin plugs on certain appliances like air conditioners.

MOT equivalent is news to me, so I stand corrected on that lol, thanks :) as they say learn something every day! but I know its not a country wide thing because it never ceases to amaze me how they build these cars over there, motorbikes (choppers) and just go driving them out on the road... whereas here you have to go through a hefty book on complying with SVA, then testing and inspection before you can take it anywhere near a public road.

Without going off on a tangent, I have seen a bare earth wire in US wiring. From what I've seen it doesn't get sleeved, and the bare wires just get twisted together.

OK, just to clarify:

First pic is wall light from front.

Second pic is wall light from rear with back (metal), removed. I have laid roughly the original wiring where it was before I removed it.

I have 1.5mm t&e coming out of the centre of a wall, I need to re-wire this and connect to this t&e.

Some final clarification would be great on cable type, size, connector...

The only earthing I was planning on doing was to extend the earth coming from the t&e in the wall and terminate it on the rear plate (the front section and rear section are both metal, but two seperate pieces, I get the feeling that there is going to be some rule that both need to be earthed, even though there is always going to be a very obvious bond between the two parts?)

Without going off on a tangent, I have seen a bare earth wire in US wiring. From what I've seen it doesn't get sleeved, and the bare wires just get twisted together.

lol, exactly my point about their regs being lapse compared to ours.

Thanks for the pics, have to say its a nice light :) never seen one like that before.

I can see it looks like originally it had a plug on it?

Flex is what you need on that for the internal wiring.

Twin and Earth wont do for that, but you would as you asked need to connect into twin and earth.

Also, need to make sure it is properly earthed, as its a metal casing.

Thanks for the pics, have to say its a nice light :) never seen one like that before.

I can see it looks like originally it had a plug on it?

Flex is what you need on that for the internal wiring.

Twin and Earth wont do for that, but you would as you asked need to connect into twin and earth.

Also, need to make sure it is properly earthed, as its a metal casing.

Thought it was quite unusual, I think it's 1960's San Francisco. Picked it up at a flea-market in California for $15

Plug is still on it, you can just about make it out at top left of bottom pic (it's pretty small but it is there).

So, 1mm 3 core flex connected to 1.5mm t&e via a 6 amp rated choc box.

Earth both parts, or just the one (they slide into each other so a very robust earth bond)?

for one thing, US wiring is White and Black? with no earth wire?
Same goes for their equivalent to a consumer unit.. Metal and most likely unearthed due to lack of earth in their wiring systems.
They do have earths.
Also, bear in mind that they have a 110-0-110 split phase system so less than half the voltage to earth that we have.
They also have something we'd recognise as "Twin and Earth" cable, commonly known as Romex (which is one trade mark I believe). https://www.mrsupply.com/ul-approved-vendor-12-2-nm-b-romex-cable-250ft-tnrx122.html

but if they have a ground conductor why do they insist on still using 2 pin plugs everywhere in the house, and only 3 pin plugs on certain appliances like air conditioners.
Why use a plug with more pins, and hence physically bigger, than needed ?
Europe is similar - for example in Germany and France they have a 2 pin plug for devices not needing an earth, but a three pin where an earth is needed - but the earthed version is about 3 times the size of the 2 pin version.

As an aside, they have (I believe) an interesting technique to economise on cable for their radial socket circuits. Where there are two sockets on one faceplate, there will be two line, one neutral, and one earth wires. The two lines will come from fuses/breakers) in opposite halves of the board - which are opposite phase. If loads are run from both sockets, the effect is to reduce the neutral current..

while I was there I bought the wire as well.
Apologies for the earlier comment, now that the mists are clearing - I thought you'd bought US spec multi-core cable for fixed wiring, not some single-core for internally rewiring the light.

600V 16AWG will be fine, but it would be best to use brown & blue for L & N, although you could put sleeving at the terminations. And you really should use G/Y for the earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back