Using an internal door, outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, not sure if this was the correct forum to post in.

We have a door that's been used as an internal door (to old bathroom), but now I am thinking of using it as a door for my external sideway. The door is hand built (not by me) using vertical timbers, and 3 horizontal supports, and 2 diagonals - something like this:

001_cottage_door_diag.jpg

It's currently painted, but I was wondering if it's suitable for use outside. If I strip the paint, and treat with a good preservative, will it last for a few years?

any advice or opinions appreciated!

cheers

Sponsored Links
Providing the door is sound and well painted there should be no problems - ideally the braces should rise away from the hinges, and often the upright tongue and grooved boards would be nailed through the battens and then clinched over. Make certain they are all secure, adding screws if necessary.
John :)

Important to paint or stain all round, most miss the top or bottom where the rot sets in.I would reinforce all joints with screws if just nailed and remember, external gate will expand in winter by as much as 20mm so leave space for this.

Thanks Burnerman and Foxhole for the useful information. Looks like I'll have a use for an old door after all. Shouldn't take too long to strip the paint, then see if the underlying timber looks ok for a stain, or if I need to paint it.

Sponsored Links
I have something similar, would strongly advise having something above it to throw the rain off. Even tacking lead or plastic strip on the top will help.

I used a breathing stain.

Any nails will rust.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back