Using Combi as a multi-point

Stat loop? Do you mean the room stat link at the terminal strip?

Yes

Do not link the CH pipes? You mean cap them off. I would link them in case there is flow for any reason and the pump is then moving water.

If the diverter motor has been removed there will never be any flow.

Removing the diverter motor. Would the maker back up the warrantee?

Why not?

Many combis are cheaper than system boilers for the equiv output. Can the diverter motor be removed and the 3-way valve set at the CH only position. Would the makers go along with that?

Many diverter valves need the pin depressed to set then in the CH mode. Thats easiest by setting the motor in CH and removing the connections.

Sponsored Links
This Japanese condensing multi-point is superb. Not available in UK. Takagi. 190,000 Btu/hr, so a U6 gas meter OK. ...and around 29 litres/min flowrate The UK needs a water heater like this urgently.

Full body jet showers are no problem and no super large, expensive cylinders to cope. It could do three average flowrate showers. They also have an externally mounted unit too.

http://www.takagi.com/web2003/pdf/TH1.pdf

No combi that can run under a U6 gas meter comes close in flowrate to this beauty. The best is the Ethos at around 23 litres/min. Sad we can't have it. One of these slapped outside would solve many problems in many homes.

In the USA and other countries, they use multi-points (tankless heaters) to run wet CH from. I see no reason why a bronze pump and plate heat exchanger cannot be fitted on a simple Main multi-point. The pump spins and the burner lights and CH is taken off the pate heat exchanger. A cheap simple way of getting a reliable combi. Chaff made a boiler like this about 30 years ago.

The newer non-condensing Ariston Microgenus is reliable combi. I have had one for 6 years and hasn't missed a beat.

Not what I would have liked in quality, but surprised me big time - and it was not cheap at the time, but very highly specced with integral filling loop, by-pass valve, etc. It has an electric 3-way valve and standard Italian parts inside. Simple to work on, but I have not done anything to it yet.

I am very surprised that you have a cheap combi !

With all you praise for expensive boilers I at least though you would have had one.

But in a small retirement flat I suppose a small combi is all you need.

Just as well you "have not done anything to it" as you are not qualified or experienced.

Sponsored Links
I wish people would stop replying to 6 month old postings (Agile)
Still it was worth it to read this..........

I recently had to THROW AWAY a Chaff Water heater. It was leaking water and gas and corroding.
It was SOO unreliable, I'd had to put a thermocouple in it, in about 1993. I remember because it was a secondhand thermocouple.
This troublesome thing was in the house when she bought it, in 1972.
Combis last 40 years, don't they??

Classic!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back