Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a good amount of damp proof membrane left which my builder previously used when laying down concrete. Really heavy duty stuff this:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/capital-...amp-proof-membrane-blue-1200ga-15-x-4m/98181#

I'm fixing insulated plasterboards with built in vapour control to a solid wall.

I'm probably being extra but can I attach this damp prrof membrane behind the timber battens all across the solid wall as like a backup vapour control layer?

Wall doesn't have any damp but I'm just worried about condensation if the vapour control in the insulation fails...

Sponsored Links
Depends what your condensation risk analysis calculation says.

Also not all insulated plasterboard "vapour control" is equal, some has barley any vapour control and can be totally unsuitable for the application.

Haven't done a condensation risk analysis. To be honest most people upgrading internal wall insulation don't especially if it's a DIY project.

And I've been looking at the spec sheets for various insulated pb manufacturers. Most are well over 100 MNs/g. In comparison a standard knauf or British gypsum vapour foil backed plasterboard is around 60-70 MNs/g.

Have a good amount of damp proof membrane left which my builder previously used when laying down concrete. Really heavy duty stuff this:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/capital-...amp-proof-membrane-blue-1200ga-15-x-4m/98181#

I'm fixing insulated plasterboards with built in vapour control to a solid wall.

I'm probably being extra but can I attach this damp prrof membrane behind the timber battens all across the solid wall as like a backup vapour control layer?

Wall doesn't have any damp but I'm just worried about condensation if the vapour control in the insulation fails...
Would make fixing plasterboard more difficult and achieve little .

Sponsored Links
And actual vapour check boards give give like 1300@85% on a 13950 test.

Hence why it's important, the boards you end up using can be totally unsuitable depending on what's going on.

Depending on your construction and needs it might be advisable to dpm just to cover behind the battens and not the whole wall, if at all.

And actual vapour check boards give give like 1300@85% on a 13950 test.

Hence why it's important, the boards you end up using can be totally unsuitable depending on what's going on.

Depending on your construction and needs it might be advisable to dpm just to cover behind the battens and not the whole wall, if at all.

I plan on using Kingspan k118 phenolic foam insulated plasterboard. Read the spec for this and it says vapour resistance at well over 100MNs/g if that means anything...

Yes I did consider buying 100mm dpm strips you can get from screwfix, about 30m. It's only around £5 but will this blue damp proof membrane do the job if I cut into strips and staple behind battens?

I'm using 2x1 battens btw...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back