Using Dulux Satin but unhappy with finish?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am using Dulux Professional Undercoat on MDF skirting and architrave, then 2 coats of Dulux Satinwood, Quick Dry, brilliant white.

For some reason the finish just isn't very good. It looks fine when painted, a decent covering, but once in place the paint has very quickly discoloured and tarnished, in a matter of days. Baring in mind the MDF is undercoated anyway this seems ridiculous. The paint actually says 'Undercoat not required', but without the undercoat the finish is even worse.

I'm using a good quality brush and there are even clear brush strokes which I haven't had before when I've used gloss and just feel the product is poor. I'm really surprised as its Dulux.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ash

---

Sponsored Links
I have heard that Dulux satin is good so must be something in preparation or application.
Did you use an oil based u/c? this wouldn't be a good surface for a water based top coat, and also did you give the u/c plenty of time to dry? you also need to use a synthetic brush. You say the finish is worse without the undercoat but you have to thoroughly rub down previous oil based coatings.
You also have to work fast and not mess about with the paint, apply and lay off once quickly keeping the wet edge going.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back