using dulux trade quick drying wood primer/undercoat outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have used this as an undercoat on most of my wood (inside) as you dont have to wait too long before glossing. The tub says exterior use is ok - but would you guys recommend it to be used on exterior wood. ie garage door frame or even the pre painted metal door itself . I am wondering how durable it would be. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Woodwork should be fine just make sure you give it a rub-a-dub first..

I wouldnt use it on a prefinished garage door myself, its very brittle and may ot cope to well with the movement and banging.

Thanks Zampa. In your opinion, is this product somewhere near as durable as a solvent based undercoat when used outdoors. Ta

In my experience "jamiller" DO NOT use it outdoors. You are best using oil based............................

Sponsored Links
thats interesting third eye. I rang dulux (before I read your post!) and they suggested that this product was as good as a solvent based for exterior use. I am not doubting your practical experience, but, could you explain a little further. Thanks

My first choice would be oil based too Jamiller, I have used water based on outside its ok but need a fair bit more preparation first ie rubbing down to provide a key.

Its not as thick (coating wise) as oil based thus doesnt give the same protection.

And it isnt quite as flexible either (paint companies are aware of this and in the past have suggested, get this, putting a dash of white spirit in it to help with the fleibility!), that said I have used it successfully in the past, but I sleep better when ive used oil based undercoat.

Ok "jamiller", the reason i stopped using Acrylic Pri/Und on Old Exterior work is cause i used it on window sills and two year later i was embaresed of how badly it had flaked. Then i scraped sills & used an Oil Based instead and 5 years on the sills have not flaked in same way the Acrylic did in two year period.

thanks to you both. It does sound like oil based is the way to go for a job that lasts as opposed to a quick fix.

For once...I'm with Dulux on this:
Do 1 side garage door frame, Dulux Trade quick drying undercoat and do the other side in oil based undercoat and come back in 2 years time and tell us the difference between the 2.
I would lay cash on it that you wont see any difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back