Using existing loft access to retro-fit ladders and hatch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new-ish house (16 years old), with access to the loft by an access panel on the landing (approx 550 x 550 mm). To get access you currently push the detached panel/cover, which is a big plastic square with polystyrene on the back up into the loft, and out of the way.

What I wanted to know is, is it possible to buy retro-fit ladders and a separate hatch, that I can use to take advantage of the current gap, to avoid the mess and inconvenience of having to cut into the ceiling.

If it matters, the eventual aim is to board the loft for storage...

Sponsored Links
Yes you can buy ladders and a hatch, but why do you need a hatch if you already have one? The ladders normally screw down onto the board you lay.

you can get both for roughly 30-40 quid each

As rjm2k has said, you can get ladders that sit on the loft floor and after opening your hatch you pull them down with a metal rod.

The other type available have ladders bolted to the back of the hatch so that as the loft hatch lowers the ladder comes down too, then you can then unfold the ladder with your hands. These tend to be fitted to much larger (600mm x 1000mm) hatches and I doubt you could retro-fit one to a PVC hatch.

Yes you can buy ladders and a hatch, but why do you need a hatch if you already have one?

Sorry, I probably haven't explained myself properly. The issue is I want to be able to open the hatch, and retrieve the ladders whilst stood on the landing (with one of those loft pole thingies).

If I just fit ladders, and use the existing hatch, I'd need to get onto step ladders to remove the hatch/push it into the loft, then move them out of the way and get the attached ladders down (which would kind of defeat the point).

I assume I'm looking for a retro fit 'hatch' which will drop down on hinges, and a separate ladder. Does the 'hatch on hinges' exist as something I can buy separately (and preferably that I could fit without any additional cutting into the ceiling)?

Sponsored Links
Ah, I think you'll probably end up having to replace the hatch altogether unless you can come up with a way of converting the one you have into a drop down (trim the edges , put hinges and a catch on and some battens around the existing opening to prevent the smaller door going up into the loft), but that would narrow the opening a little

Ah, I think you'll probably end up having to replace the hatch altogether unless you can come up with a way of converting the one you have into a drop down (trim the edges , put hinges and a catch on and some battens around the existing opening to prevent the smaller door going up into the loft), but that would narrow the opening a little

Thanks for that. Not the answer I was hoping for (but the one I was expecting).

It looks like I'll need get someone in to quote for fitting a replacement hatch!

Modifying the hatch isn't all that difficult, depending on what it's made of.

With the hatch in place you can use the beading it sits on as a guide for the new size. Mark it with a pencil and then cut it down slightly smaller to allow for the hinges and give some clearance.

I've fitted a few Abru (Abro?) easystow ladders from B&Q, and they come with the hinges, catch and pole as part of the kit.

Modifying the hatch isn't all that difficult, depending on what it's made of.

With the hatch in place you can use the beading it sits on as a guide for the new size. Mark it with a pencil and then cut it down slightly smaller to allow for the hinges and give some clearance.

I've fitted a few Abru (Abro?) easystow ladders from B&Q, and they come with the hinges, catch and pole as part of the kit.

Thanks for that. I think it's like a thin plastic sheet with a (thick) polystyrene backing.

If I were chicken-out and call a 'pro' in, to fit ladders (and/or a hatch), who from the trade should I be getting quotes from?

Carpenter, builder, handyman???

I'm happy I can fit the flooring myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back