Using Existing thermostat for a new boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Having a WB Greenstar 24i Junior fitted to replace a knackered Saunier Duval and have just seen that my quote includes a WB Programmable Thermosat ( DT10RF wireless) which is about £170! I was even more shocked when I read that there is no weekend setting in the programmes...that comes for an extra £20!
I have an existing wired thermostat to the existing boiler position and tho its an old honeywell, its worked faultlessly.
The new boiler comes without programmes ( which astounded me) so I need some sort of programmer.
Can I use my existing thermostat and have it linked to a programmer. I'm getting a bit confused about it, and especially whether it will affect the warranty and guarantees on the boiler. I know the WB has a choice of programmers but not sure whether I have to use one of theirs for the guarantees to remain intact...and if other programmers are available, what is a good choice. £170/190 seems like awful lot of money for a programmer. My old Saunier Duval, even tho heavily slated by you guys, had a built in programmer and actually lasted about 12 years without being serviced. Not bad for a S.Duval by all accounts.
The other thing I liked about my existing stat is that if I wanted the heating to come on in an 'off' period, I just turned the stat dial a few degrees it would fire up the boiler. Would it still work like that if connected to the new boiler?
Hope I've explained clearly. Look forward to your advice.

Sponsored Links
You can use whatever programmer and stat you like without affecting the warranty, but you're correct that you'll need to purchase a separate unit.

It sounds like you're not happy with the boiler choice - and rightly so IMHO as I don't think they're very good - in which case you should be asking your installer for an alternative or finding an alternative installer

You could fit one of these and keep your existing thermostat, they cost around £50 - £60 from memory.

http://www.draytoncontrols.co.uk/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=21284

I would be more concerned about your choice of boiler than your clock.

I don't know what part of Surrey you are in but round my way installers are brainwashed by the WB machine, if you repaired boilers, you wouldn't fit one of these.

Just my opinion, shouldn't grumble, they keep me busy ;)

Go to plumb center and ask for a center brand r/f programmable thermostat 5/2 or 7 day programme and it'll be the same as now, turn up in off period and the heat will come one :D .......... Also look at Baxi/Ideal, sod WB! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies guys. Re my boiler choice,.I did some research and WB boilers seem to have good reports, plus the Which? top pick awards...but somehow I wasn't quite convinced...not sure why!
What boiler would be better choice on realiablity then? I will check out Baxi/Ideal.
2 bed terrace with 1 bathroom.
I've read so much stuff...and differing opinions about boilers, it gets confusing.
This fitter is WB accredited and says he can extend the guarantee to 8yrs (think he said 8, will check) if fitted with the WB Magnetic Filter.

Thanks for replies guys. Re my boiler choice,.I did some research and WB boilers seem to have good reports, plus the Which? top pick awards...but somehow I wasn't quite convinced...not sure why!
This fitter is WB accredited and says he can extend the guarantee to 8yrs (think he said 8, will check) if fitted with the WB Magnetic Filter.

Which? Magazine? Here we go again :LOL:

Said it before and will say it again. That rag needs to be printed on absorbant paper.

WAI? Don't make me laugh.

Purely a numbers game. Has NOTHING to do with quality. If you sell loads of their boilers, you get accredited. The more you sell the shinier the sticker they send you to stick on the van.

Sell too few of their boilers, you lose the right to call yourself WAI. My local rep was stunned by my lack of concern when they removed me from the list.

Why was I removed? Their boilers aren't worth the cost - even the cheap and nasty i range with its horrid heat exchanger. The CDi classics were OK, but too expensive IMHO. I choose a product for more reasons than advertising and pretty fleeces. There are much better and versatile boilers out there for the cost.

Wouldn't touch Ideal or Baxi with a barge pole either, but that is mainly on moral grounds as I hear they have upped their game recently. Still think their boilers are nothing special though.

However, as you have discovered - installers' choices are varied. It is their reasoning and experience you need to get a handle on - not the marketing crap that is 99% meaningless twaddle that can be applied to every product out there.

Yes, Dan_Rob...you will not meet a more cynical consumer than me! And no...just because Which? rate something, doesn't mean its the dogs danglies. They do offer some good advice though.
What is your choice of boiler for me then...and why?

So, as an ordinary consumer...and knowing the internet can be a double edge sword, my conclusion as to a new boiler is this...

1/ Find a good installer. Needs to have been around for a while with a good reputation. Though there is nothing to say they will not disappear tomorrow ( hence why some people mistakenly go to British Gas I'd imagine)...so..
2/ Ensure the new boiler is fitted to the Manufacturers requirements and check with them that what the 'Accredited' Installer says is true...that the guarantee will be honoured, if properly serviced, for 6, 8, 10 years...whichever.
At least then, I know the boiler will be fixed if anything goes wrong for that period, for free.

What more can a consumer do? I've read so many opinions on boilers that I know now only one thing as an absolute....there is no such thing as 'THE Best' boiler. One argues black, another argues white...but in my mind, doing some proper research is better than none.

As an adjunct to my dilemma, a couple years ago I had a local Gas safe fitter round to look at my ailing S.Duval. Probably correctly, he advised to get rid and fir a new WB...and gave me a cheaper option also. I didn't go ahead with either due to changing circumstances.
A month ago I googled his name to get him round again to fit a boiler...only to find him come up on a WATCHDOG Programme! Possibly a lucky escape for me there.

My7 core range is

Intergas
Atag

and if you simply have to have a mainstream brand (and don't care about your private information being sold to Homeserve with or without your permission)....

Vaillant.

This is a topic discussed on a weekly basis here.

However, be wary of these long warranties. It is a fight to the bottom by ALL the manufacturers and they WILL find any reason whatsoever to get out of honouring the warranty once the statutory period is up and the craze has settled. Again like being a WAI, it is a numbers game that is underwritten by insurers and not the manufacturers.

My personal opinion is that 5 years is plenty, and having a longer warranty does not a better boiler make.

Dan, I don't..simply have to have a mainstream brand. In fact, one of my personal rally cries against the world is any kind of brand snobbery.

Due to the varying opinions on boilers I conclude that tying down a guarantee as water tight as possible is the only protection I can give myself...and believe me, I will fight any manufacturer that tries to muddy waters. EE/Orange (my mobile phone) and Ford ( My car) and 2 Insurance companies have been on the end of my wrath and they don't like it up 'em Mr. Mainwaring...they really don't. Mention the net, social media and they s**t themselves. I can tell you all...as fact, that all Major Brand names have dedicated internet teams whose job is to infiltrate every consumer site out there posing as consumers. Review sites, pro sites like this, which? sites, social media...believe me, they have it covered...and yes, its against the law.

Intergas is a case in point. I had/have them on my list as the product sounds like a company trying to improve a product (to me as a layman)...but again I've read so many contrary opinions. Bad back up, bad customer service, engineers that either don't know or don't want to know them re repairs, servicing etc. So just what to believe? :rolleyes:
Thanks for your reply.

It is a tricky one and I am glad you are raging against the machine.

Trust me though - moles and in house marketeers get found very quickly here and usually put in their place. There are several employees here from boiler manufacturers and they have trust and respect due to their measured approach and honesty. The independent traders here, on the whole, have minds of their own and know how to use them

I have to partially agree with you on the concerns over Intergas aftersales, but I simply look at it from ten years experience with the product and the lack of need of any aftersales support. I do know there is developments there though for 2015. How it pans out will be interesting.

EVERY brand out there has a gremlin. Whether it be technical, moral, aftersales, price. You have to ask yourself which compromise is the one you can live with more.

Perosnally I would rather pay good money on the product, rather than the the backend stuff that SHOULD be unnecessary if it was tried, tested and of course fitted properly.

I note ATAG's seem pricier, not a problem if they are worth it. Which ATAG for my requirements...there website is not exactly 'consumer friendly'...another bug bear for me. No excuse for **** un-informative websites nowadays. I dont want pics of gorgeous mummies double clasping steaming mugs of tasty broth..or fluffy puppies running around...but some info on which boiler for my needs would be handy.:cool:

Their entry level combi is the A203C.

However, the flagship combi is a A32EC with in built flue heat recovery.

None of their boilers are particularly pretty or compact though, hence we tend to offer those for garage or utility room installations.

There is a kitchen friendly model coming out later this year apparently.

One of the best primary heat exchangers on the market.

Ta. Think I saw it. definetely designed by an engineer hee hee. No excuse for bad aethetics really...but no matter to me. I'll have a read up.

They were fundamentally a Commercial boiler where looks were not important.

The Dutch do seem to have a utilitarian approach to these things. But this is all in the eye of the beholder.

With their Q series, I think they look better with the outer shell removed - which sadly makes them non compliant with the electrical regs :(.

Must agree with Dan, steer clear of Worcester Bosch box of plastic components. Intergas & Atag are good choices. If you want a Mainstream boiler Vailliant is an a reasonable choice with good aftercare back up. My favourite when considering whole life costs is Intergas...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back