Using light ring to power CCTV cam

Sponsored Links
hi sups, your plan to take a feed from the first light on kitchen ceiling is not going to access the circuit line (live) only the switched live.so camera will be switched off when lights are. I am a bit confused when you say the light is the closest point to pick up a supply , when you also appear to have access to the loft space above it ??? or is it not immediately above ,in which case why go in the loft at all ??

sups - that tells you all you need to know about the strength of this guy's grasp on reality.

Please ignore what he tells you - it's b*****ks.

You of all people, who is constantly critisised on these forums for being rude and trolling. You who went away and sulked when you were told you were wrong.

I repeat FCUs are not required on lighting circuits. A 3amp fuse will not discriminate against a 6 amp MCB.
13 amp sockets are not meant to be put on lighting circuits. 5 amp and 2 amp BS546 sockets are available if one really wants to put a socket on a lighting circuit.

hi sups, your plan to take a feed from the first light on kitchen ceiling is not going to access the circuit line (live) only the switched live.so camera will be switched off when lights are. I am a bit confused when you say the light is the closest point to pick up a supply , when you also appear to have access to the loft space above it ??? or is it not immediately above ,in which case why go in the loft at all ??

My kitchen is single story extension at the back of the house, and I've managed to squeeze in a pitch roof (rather than a flat roof). the pitch roof give me a small shallow loft area. I have multiple down lights in the kitchen and I can access the wires from the loft.
The mains wire makes its way from the consumer unit to a down light junction box right next to the loft hatch, this is where the mains gets broken I.e a live taken to the switch etc. by choosing the correct terminals on the junction box I will have access to the mains live.

Sponsored Links
ah i got you now !!! so why all the previous hullabaloo about sockets and fcu's, why not wire camera /tranny into the lighting circuit ,via its own switch if you want one ?

The Cam comes with a power lead that has the transformer combined with a plug (you know the sort, similar to the transformers on phone charges that are incorporated into the plug). so I need a the socket to plug into it.

I bought Fsu (I had to google what this meant) in to the picture as an afterthought from someones previous response. the concern was that something could get plugged in that would draw more than 6Amps.
as you now know, the location of socket is in such an obscure place, the chances of anyone plugging in a kettle, vacum, toster or what ever is very very remote, but still my thinking was that if for any reason the socket starts to draw more than 3Amps, the fuse would blow, and the lights would stay intact. Another member posted saying that it doesn't work like this - though i'm not sure why.

Last edited:
got that !! so as previously advised an additional socket on the ring final ,if you can get to the cagbles, is best way.failing that ,one on the lighting circuit. by the way have you got RCD protection on lighting circuit ?

I bought Fsu (I had to google what this meant) in to the picture as an afterthought from someones previous response. the concern was that something could get plugged in that would draw more than 6Amps.
as you now know, the location of socket is in such an obscure place, the chances of anyone plugging in a kettle, vacum, toster or what ever is very very remote, but still my thinking was that if for any reason the socket starts to draw more than 3Amps, the fuse would blow, and the lights would stay intact. Another member posted saying that it doesn't work like this - though i'm not sure why.

Because a fuse doesn't magically blow at 3.000000001 amps. Even at double the rated value it won't blow for a while. MCB's however are much tighter. So as I have already said a 3 amp fuse will not discriminate against a 6 amp MCB.

got that !! so as previously advised an additional socket on the ring final ,if you can get to the cagbles, is best way.failing that ,one on the lighting circuit. by the way have you got RCD protection on lighting circuit ?

NO, NO, NO. 13 amp sockets should not be put on lighting circuits.

You who went away and sulked when you were told you were wrong.
Not true.

I was prevented from posting here for a while because I would not agree with the site that you should have been protected from the consequence of the lies you told about me.

I'm sure you must remember - you went snivelling to the mods enough times when I wouldn't let you get away with your calumny.

I repeat FCUs are not required on lighting circuits. A 3amp fuse will not discriminate against a 6 amp MCB.
Interesting to note that you aren't repeating the claim which I quoted, i.e. that FCUs are not used on lighting circuits.

13 amp sockets are not meant to be put on lighting circuits.
They are sockets which are rated at up to 13A. Of course they can go on a circuit rated at less than what they are rated at. You do have some funny ideas.

NO, NO, NO. 13 amp sockets should not be put on lighting circuits.
Rubbish.

You are free to not do that in your house.

You are not free to tell other people things which are incorrect just because you wish that they were true.

Rubbish.

You are free to not do that in your house.

You are not free to tell other people things which are incorrect just because you wish that they were true.

So you're saying that it's quite normal to connect 13A socket outlets to 6A lighting circuits.

Not sure normal is the appropriate word.

Would you like to state why it is not acceptable? Regulation? Danger?

What is a lighting circuit?

Do you think it acceptable to connect three (or more) 13A sockets to a 32A circuit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back